Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,526   Posts: 1,572,361   Online: 1045

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

OH NO.... scratched negs help?

So I'm in a small town in Poland and seeing as how there are no pro labs, I went ahead and had my color negs done in a local 1 hr place. I gave them 37 rolls of film I shot in Africa and told them to please be careful and take as many days as they wanted. Silly me, I didn't want to risk damage by mailing them.

So long story short, some rolls came back pretty scratched. Particularly my precious Namibia sand dunes. And particularly those shots on the roll which were some of my favorites... In fact it kind of makes me wonder... literally the better the picture, the more damaged it is.

Well, I've been scanning in some roughs and some of these are just looking beyond digital repair.... I must fix them. But how? I've really only done minor scratch touch-ups in PS LightRoom with scans, but this is beyond that.

It's a roll of Tudorcolor xlx 100. example attached. The whole roll has the same horizontal stripes throughout, and some have these squiggle scratches too. Not for the faint hearted.

What to do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3610-06.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh My ...
    I can't even comprehend how they managed to destroy your film.

That looks worst than the scratched Kodachrome I got back from Dwaynes.
    I guess the final days of developing resulted in some brutality to lots of film ...

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, your hosed on the negative. Photoshop does have a great healing tool, though, and you can always make a digital negative for contact printing. Sometimes I get a chance to restore some old photographs or tintypes and I've used this tool with great results. It looks like a bandaid on the toolbar, if I'm not mistaken and you can adjust the size for detail work. I'll see if I can download a scan from a tintype I worked on as an example.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tin Type-4-Tammy-2-1.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sorry to hear about that. This can be the most infuriating experience. I have a few negatives like that, but in my case, I was processing them and can only blame myself. One thing I noticed is that scanning such negatives
    often highlights even the tiniest scratches, but if you optically print it on a diffusion enlarger, most such scratches
    will not show up on the print, and whatever is still there can be corrected by a dab of nose grease. If you insist on scanning, wet mounting can also help tremendously.

P.S. Beautiful photo! I hope you can recover it and the rest of the negatives.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Looks like a lot of dust and fibers on there too. At least you can clean off the dust and fibers and get rid of about 1/2 of the damage.

Did you go back and show them what a mess they made? They should be ashamed.

(addendum...)

BTW, personally I have made it a habit to get the standard lab scans to CD when I get my film developed. That way if the negatives do get messed up I have that first line of defense. Most labs take the film straight to their scanner so one has a decent chance of getting clean scans.

I have had film chopped smack in the middle of the frame throughout the roll when they were cut and sleeved. That $2.99 CD saved the day on that one.
    Last edited by wblynch; 06-23-2011 at 04:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    It's probably no more than a couple hours per image with a postprocessing software. In this case it is pretty easy as the stripes are over uniform areas. When they are over complicated textures you have to work at 500% with a 5 pixels width and it can be pretty boring. I repair scratches every day, but they are much smaller and much less evident. Bigger scratches are not necessarily more complicated to repair than smaller scratches. I am also investigating a way to totally eliminate any kind of scratch.

Those kind of scratches don't look normal. Something very bad happened. I would go back to the laboratory and speak to the boss.

After an experience like this, I would either go digital or start developing myself. Actually, I already develop by myself, so I'll never had such a bad surprise.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many years ago, someone made a liquid that could be wiped onto the negative that would sort of heal over scratches. I do not know if it is still available or not. However, Fluid scannin does much the same thing with that fluid one uses for that process. Try fluid scanning.
    Geo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If your scanner has ICE, turn it on, it will alleviate some of the damage, but with a case as drastic as this, you will still have to do some work.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good lord, that is horrible!

First, you should go get your money back. You should not have to pay a single grosz for that processing.

Then, try to determine if the scratches are on the base side or on the emulsion side.

If they are on the base side, the nose oil trick works absolute wonders, and a diffusion enlarger, as opposed to a scanner, will also help.

I am not sure if the nose oil trick works with scans.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Dang, that's horrible.

On the bright side, GREAT PHOTOGRAPH!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin