Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,617   Online: 1017

Shooter
    Medium Format

Chemical quantities for Beseler 8x10 drum

I received an 8x10 Beseler drum without instructions and processed a few RA-4 prints without any problems at room temperature. I used 200 ml, which I know is more than recommended.

The little tray inside the drum holds about 80 ml of liquid and I seem to have heard that this drum takes 2 oz. (60 ml). Is this correct?

Does anyone know where I can find the instructions for this drum and the motor base (mostly these items seem to be pretty easy to use)?

Thanks in advance.

Warren Nagourney

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use approx 70 ml of Kodak RA/RT chems for that drum, you can do at least three, probably four 8x10 prints with 70ml of chems at room temp.

I usually do three or four 4x5 test prints and a couple of final 8x10 prints with the same 70 ml of chems.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Bob!

One other quick question. When I did my 4 8x10 prints using 200 ml, I noticed that the developer got darker much more quickly than when I used the full liter (Kodak RA chems) in trays. Is it better to return the small amount of chems back to the 1 liter bottle or just use the small amount (70 ml) repeatedly and toss it? I suppose that averaged over the lifetime of the 1 liter chems, it shouldn't matter and it is certainly easier to use the small amount repeatedly. Do you notice any degradation at the 4th 8x10 print with the same 70 ml of developer?

Thanks again.

wn
    Last edited by warrennn; 06-25-2011 at 07:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use the 70ml repeatedly and then toss it, same for the stop and blix. The dev does get oxidized quite quickly when run thru the drum. I haven't noticed any visible change in the print when doing the third 8x10 worth of paper. Once I noticed the 4th one was slightly different, but that developer had been mixed for over 6 months.

The developer dissolves the dyes on the paper and turns almost purple, not a problem. I use a 30 sec pre-rinse, dev for 2 min, 1.5% acetic acid stop for 30 sec, blix for 2 1/2 min and then wash the print. I use an old Gralab timer to control the motor base, makes the timing dead simple.

If I am making an 11x14 print, the Beseler drum wants 140ml. I do the 4x5 test prints and a full print in the 8x10 and then top up the measuring cup to 140 for the 11x14 print. Same for 16x20, for that drum I use 280 ml. It's much cheaper to check for dust on an 8x10 print than a larger size.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks again, Bob. I'll use that procedure.

wn

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin