Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,481   Posts: 1,571,142   Online: 1158

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice camera btw, apart from the numbers on the pictures ;-)

I have a pile of parts including some of the same ones you've used, waiting to be turned into a 90mm 6x17.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    Ink transfer
    +1. The ink from the backing paper transfers to the emulsion and leaves a mark. May happen when 120 film is stored long.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    Ink transfer
    I think that's more likely than it being printed through by light as the numbers and marks on your image are lighter than rest of the image. If light was passing through the paper to the emulsion, the numbers and marks would be darker.

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 06-28-2011 at 08:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    I recall, on a visit to the Ilford/Harman factory, the manager at the roll film line mentioning that special printing ink has to be used on the backing-paper to avoid print-through onto the emulsion. (The printing is, of course, in direct contact with the emulsion surface for the whole time the film is rolled on the spool.) I've seen this print-through myself on a very old B&W film.

If there is no obvious light-leak issue, I'd try the camera with a fresh film.

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is what happened when I had a loose roll in my pinhole camera: apart from the expected fogging at the edges, there's also an image of the numbers on the backing paper, although I can't explain how. (Ilford FP4+, so near-black on off-white printing on the paper, and decent quality normally light-tight paper).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3239/...047_z.jpg?zz=1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would try a roll of fresh film. It's probably more likely from fogging than ink transfer, but it should take quite a lot of light to accomplish that.
    I've changed plenty of rolls in full light and never had a fogging problem. The symptoms make me wonder if the the backing paper my have faded causing the problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the ideas. In normal usage it will get fresh film, so I 'll just dive right into the Velvia next.. wish me luck.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I think that's more likely than it being printed through by light as the numbers and marks on your image are lighter than rest of the image. If light was passing through the paper to the emulsion, the numbers and marks would be darker.

Steve.
    Some backing papers are black with white numbers though?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    Some backing papers are black with white numbers though?
    None that I have seen but I stand to be corrected. Ilford paper is white, Kodak is yellow and I think Fujifilm is white too. They are black on the rear i.e. the surface touching the non-emulsion side of the film.

When using a camera with a frame counting window, I have always seen a light coloured paper with dark coloured numbers (or in Ilford's case, slightly darker numbers!).

EDIT: Ilford's papers are white for the majority of their length. The last few inches are black which gives some distinction between exposed and un-exposed film when rolled up.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is certainly some cheap and nasty Chinese film with white on black backing paper; there's some in my fridge.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin