Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,228   Online: 766

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rollei Digibase C41 developer without starter??

Heya,
    i just mistakenly poured my whole Starter bottle away and was wondering if i could use the developer without the Starter- i know for sure this wouldn't be any problem in RA-4 but i doubt its the case for C41,
    I know i could get the Starter seperately but need it faster than an order would take me...
    Anybody got any experience on this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No you can not. The starter will be necessary to "age" the C41 developer components A/B/C.
    But indeed, you can order the starter seperately.
    My favorite store: http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I do normally use starter but have mistakenly developed without starter several times. No problem.

I don't use the Digibase chems but the C41 process is fairly standard so I'd guess you're ok.

My understanding of starters in general is that they are designed to make newly mixed chems act like chems that have been replenished awhile. It is for consistency.

Without the starter the developer may work a bit quicker. Even if that is true I'd still stick with 3:15.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Starter contains the bromide and iodide missing from replenisher (but present in non-replenishing kits like Tetenal).

I mixed up my own starter when I didn't have any, from a little of the alkali bottle (part A) in my kit, and some potassium bromide and potassium iodide. It worked very well, I don't know how close my mix was, but replenishing over time pushes it back to normal.

You could process a test few rolls through it until they appear normal density you're used to, use that as your working solution. Then replenish from there.

If you're in Melbourne (doubtful) I've got some starter here.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin