Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,779   Online: 863

foc

Shooter
    35mm

Fuji Film price increase

Today I received an e-mail from Fuji Film Ireland that there will be a trade price increase of 20% on all the Fuji films, effective from 1st August.

[B](quote)
    Further to FUJIFILM Tokyo’s World Wide announcement last Friday (24th June), I would like to explain the reason why FUJIFILM Ireland must announce the following price increases effective 1st August 2011.

The main reason for the following increases is due to the consistent increase in the cost of silver (+106% in the last 18 months). FUJIFILM have absorbed most of these costs up to now, but unfortunately we cannot sustain these increases any further, without passing on some of the increased costs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	silver prices.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	36455

The film market in Ireland is already shrinking, for example our own sales of film were down 17% for the first six months this year compared to the same period in 2010. ( c-41 processing is down 37%)

Now I know that the Irish market is very small, we only have a population of 4.5m and my local catchment is 65,000, and while this is not a clear indicator of the overall picture, it does not look well for film nationally.

The price increase will have to be passed on to the customer, who will in turn try and find alternative sources (ie: on line) or else give up on film.

Already this year the main Kodak and Ilford distributor in Ireland went into administration. Two years ago there were 3 one hour labs town, now I am the only one, and over those 2 years the numbers of film for processing has kept declining.

The only area of growth has been sales of black & white film and processing but at an average of 4-5 units a month it hasn't a big effect on the bottom line.

Our biggest income is from digital print sales (RA4) but I like film and would like to keep providing the service and stock for the few film customers that are out there.

I did a simple survey on our film customers, both film sales and processing, and the age group most interested in film is the 20's. Most older customers are glad to get away from film, although a few have said they rediscovered film and are enjoying it. The number of Lomography film we process has increased and while a year a go we did no cross processing now we do it as often as we process b&w, and it's all Lomochrome film.

I don't want this to appear like a film is dead thread, or the end is near, but I would like to hear your opinion on what it is like in your local area.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd say it'd doing pretty well here in Melbourne and suburbs.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    WHat is interesting in this annoucement is that Fuji is still producing. It was not clear since the earthquake.
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If i were yourself (if i understand correctly you run a shop) i'd try to investigate how to make your business fit this situation (how about setting up a mail service for developing/printing ? ). Apart from this i can confirm that very few people here (Italy) use film. But i'm still convinced we can play our part in keeping this business alive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It could be worse they could have stopped manufacturing film !, it's only money
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    llford has increased prices. Kodak rumoured to. Not really a surprise. Fuji Reala is in stock again at B&H so I'm happy. I wish they hadn't cancelled production of FP-100B but what can you do?
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by foc View Post
    Already this year the main Kodak and Ilford distributor in Ireland went into administration.
    Someone else has taken over distribution of these products in Ireland. Let me know if you need contact details.

Peter
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here in the US, I think Fuji has been generally way less expensive than Kodak and Ilford. So though the less I have to pay, the better, I'd rather pay a bit more if it keeps them making the stuff, especially if they are still competitive compared with the others. I fear as film shrinks to a niche market product it's inevitable prices will go up. Let's just hope that isn't a price point only affordable to gazillionaires!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    llford has increased prices. Kodak rumoured to. ...
    Kodak's price increase went into affect on July 1st here in Japan
    Those who know, shoot film

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin