Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,475   Posts: 1,542,610   Online: 949

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Kodak paper in rolls: handling and cutting advice sought

I just received a 12"x305' roll of Kodak ektacolor edge paper and I would like to cut it into 12" squares. I have worked out a procedure and would like to benefit from the advice of others who have experience with this.

First, the paper came in a brown paper wrapper with a yellow Kodak label on it. Is it alright to remove it from this wrapper in the light without exposing anything? I.e., is there an inner (presumably all yellow) wrapper? Should I invest in a light tight bag to hold the remainder of the roll after cutting some pieces? Or would a black garbage bag work?

I plan to use my wife's Fiskars rotary paper trimmer to cut the paper in total darkness; I'll probably put the paper roll on a horizontal dowel to facilitate feeding the paper.

Should I wear gloves when handling the paper? I am a bit worried about fingerprints (though I routinely handle the paper without gloves when enlarging). I am also worried about scratching the emulsion when feeding the paper.

I am probably making more of an issue of this than I should -- any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Warren Nagourney

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have found on the rolls that I have gotten in this size that the brown kraft paper bag has a black light tight bag right inside it, almost like it is affixed to it. I don't open it other than in complete darkness. I reclose it by rolling the edge on itself and securing with thre or four fold back clips, the first two by feel, then the last 2 by amber safelight.

I try to wash my hands to dispell excess oil, and keep at least the paper 'catchcer' hand in a cotton glove.

I use a guilloting type paper cutter, with the stop set to whatever length I am cutting. I cut it to 12" square, or 12x14, and later cut down to 11x14, or 4-5x7, or 8 for 8x12, and later 8x10.
    I also cut it 16" for full frame 35mm aspect ratio enlargements (though not always with 35mm negatives). I have a roller processor that swallows anythin less than 12" wide, but I don't try to feed it anything longer than 16"

I feed the roll from the right, across the bed, and then move the cut piece into a partially open light tight drawer. Everything is by feel. I know you can use a very dim green light, but I don't.
    Tidy the area first, and have a good mental and touch sense of where everything you need for the whole operation is before you open the bag.

You will likely want a vaccuum easel before long with this stuff, unless you like using and the look of a 4 bladed easel. The curl near the middle of the roll is wicked, and never seems to want to go away for me despite many efforts.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Black garbage bags will not work. Even the heavy black polyethylene used for construction is not light tight unless you use several layers. Ask me how I know.
    It is relatively easy to remove curl but you have to be gentle. On a smooth surface; place the paper emulsion side down and place a rigid straight edge close to one edge. Hold the straight edge and pull the paper up against the straight edge letting the paper slide underneath. If you are not careful you can get pressure marks which will develop as fogged areas. I used to do this to 50" paper when necessary.
    Last edited by richard ide; 07-01-2011 at 12:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the very useful ideas! Actually, I was hoping to use a changing bag to store the roll -- Freestyle has an inexpensive one (by Arista) which I was planning to order. These bags should work for long-term storage, I think.

wn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Only open it in the dark!!! Or with #13 safelight.

As said above, the brown paper is attached to the 'black paper bag', there is no second bag anywhere.

I store my rolls in the box they came in, in the paper obviously.

I don't use gloves and haven't had any problems.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 8"x610' roll of Edge
    I just store it inside the brown wrapper it comes in and then inside the box for a bit of extra protection.

I use a cheaper Dahle roller cutter and don't use gloves. If you can deal with gloves it's probably a good idea although I have had no discernible problems handling the cut sheets bare handed.

I haven't had to deal with any curl yet but it gets worse as you get closer to the center of the roll.

Shooter
    35mm
    I store my opened roll of Edge in its paper bag which I then put inside a changing bag (with the hand openings rolled up and pegged).
    Steve.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know how thick (diameter) your roll is, but I keep cut from roll monochrome paper in large diameter, black, light impenetrable ABS tubes, with one glued up fixed and one screw end, sourced from Home Depot (standing in corner - pic).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warrennn View Post
    Thanks for the very useful ideas! Actually, I was hoping to use a changing bag to store the roll -- Freestyle has an inexpensive one (by Arista) which I was planning to order. These bags should work for long-term storage, I think.

wn
    Changing bags won't work, unless you have one that has no arm holes!

EDIT: Or can close them reliably.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I allso use a Dahle 18in cutter. I went to the Home Depot and made a wood extention out to 20in. I use of all things 2 auto jack stands 12in high to hold a 1in dowel rod with the roll of paper on it .I do all my cutting at night, and store the paper in the same bag as it came in.
    I just cut up 1 roll of new Fuji type 11, and am printing with none of the recent reported problems..I allways use nitrate gloves
    One problem i did have was to keep the cut edge at an exact right angle .Before i start cutting i use a carpenters square and trim the end of the roll.
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin