Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,249   Online: 1079

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Colour Fuji Instant Preservation

Does anyone know much about long term preservation of Fuji Instant prints. I'm using some FP-100c for proofing trannies, but it has a very distinctive look which I'd like to preserve.

Thanks in advance,

Ian.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The usual advice, keep away from light, temperature and humidity. Print File makes some nice Polaroid holders and I use Print File for all my negatives and prints.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

jun

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Ian,

I am not very good in English, but if I understand you correctly, the following links (Fuji Technical Reports) may help.

http://www.fujifilm.co.jp/rd/report/..._rd048_001.pdf

Very unfortunately it is Japanese only (except the abstract part).

In this report Fuji claim as follows:
    1. Fig. 4 in Page 3 and Photo 3 in Page 4: Have 4-fold resistance than the previous type for fading caused by light exposure (Xe3000lux)
    2. Photo 2 in Page 3: Have UV protective clear coat that consists of fine TiO2.

There is quite a lot of information about film in Fuji Technical Reports and some very useful information about filters (such as how to properly eliminate blue cast in shaded areas for colour photos and why, not to mention applicable to Fuji films, but may also for useful for Kodak films, but these info are only in Japanese, and even Japanese cannot easily find it out in Fuji’s web site since it is located at the very obscure place in their website.

Regards,
    Last edited by jun; 07-01-2011 at 04:57 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Corrected: longevity -> resistance

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great stuff! Thanks for tracking that down. Is there similar info for FP-100B and FP-3000B anywhere?
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They don't last long in sunlight. I did a test a couple years back.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jun View Post
    I am not very good in English, but if I understand you correctly, the following links (Fuji Technical Reports) may help.
    Thanks so much for the link and explanation. This is really useful.

I interpret Figure 3 as saying that after 84 days under 3,000 lux Xenon lights, the FP100c suffers a 10% loss of something in Japanese. I assume that 'something' is a measure of image fading. Does that make sense?

84 days at 3,000 lux is an exposure of approximately 6,000,000 lux hours. On the wall in typical living room (away from direct sunlight, etc.) there could be an exposure of, say, 12,000 lux hours per day. This would lead to 10% fading in just under a year and a half. UV glass would presumably extend that, but it's far from ideal.

jun - Does the Japanese text say anything about ways to increase the print's lifetime? I seem to remember that Polaroid advised careful rinsing and drying of their instant prints, for example. But if there's a fancy anti-UV coating on the FP100c then I wouldn't want to inadvertently wash that off.

What I'm trying to understand is whether it's 'safe' for me to display the instant prints I'm making, or whether they're destined for a portfolio box.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin