Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,648   Online: 795

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RA4 problems

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let me clarify....

If you have RA-RT developer replenisher, it can be used mixed as the instructions state without starter and it can be used from 68F to 100F. If you use a starter in the developer, I only recommend use at 100F. The starter is not needed for the blix.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Let me clarify....

If you have RA-RT developer replenisher, it can be used mixed as the instructions state without starter and it can be used from 68F to 100F. If you use a starter in the developer, I only recommend use at 100F. The starter is not needed for the blix.

PE
    So what advantage does RA-RT developer with starter bring?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This system is supposed to supply a starting point for a seasoned process with little waste at startup and little deviation from a seasoned, replenished system.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My re-geared CAP-40 takes 1:10 min from when the paper first touches the developer to when it touches the stop bath. From a Kodak publication I found a chart that recommended 1:00 of development without pre-soak at 92F. But if I'm using starter I shouldn't be deviating from 100F and 0:45 of development?

Am I going to be running into some serious issues trying to use a roller transport at a non-standard speed/temp if I'm using developer starter? My time is basically fixed to 1:10. Should I not use starter at all, use starter at 100F or use starter at 92F? Which would be the least worst option?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use 2' at 68F and 1' at 100F with RA-RT developer replenisher. The low temp is in a tray and the high temp is in a Jobo. Far be it from me to set your workflow. All I can do is give you my conditions and tell you that it works. Oh, I also use a pre-wet with the Jobo processor.

I have never used a CAP-40, just a basket processor for prints up to 16x20.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I use 2' at 68F and 1' at 100F with RA-RT developer replenisher. The low temp is in a tray and the high temp is in a Jobo. Far be it from me to set your workflow. All I can do is give you my conditions and tell you that it works. Oh, I also use a pre-wet with the Jobo processor.

I have never used a CAP-40, just a basket processor for prints up to 16x20.

PE
    Can times for temperatures between 68 and 100 be extrapolated from a curve of those two, pretty much linearly?

I'm wondering because I want to do RA4 in trays, but my darkroom is closer to 80 in the summer than 68. Actually usually between 75 and 80 or so. Heck, I'm not sure it's down to 68 in the winter (it's in the basement and mostly underground and Georgia is not the great white north.)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Can times for temperatures between 68 and 100 be extrapolated from a curve of those two, pretty much linearly?

I'm wondering because I want to do RA4 in trays, but my darkroom is closer to 80 in the summer than 68. Actually usually between 75 and 80 or so. Heck, I'm not sure it's down to 68 in the winter (it's in the basement and mostly underground and Georgia is not the great white north.)
    Kodak tech pub J-39 (http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe...bs/j39/j39.pdf) provides a chart with development times & temperatures on page 3 in the lower left corner. I'm extremely new to RA4 so I don't know exactly what happens when the times/temperatures are deviated from those recommended other than "a colour shift".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Please note that that chart is for developer, not developer replenisher, and thus times/temps cannot be derived from what I have said or what Kodak has published that can be compared with each other.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plus theirs only go down to 83F. My darkroom is enough warmer than 68F to make that an impractical temperature, but it's not usually 83. I'd prefer to use whatever the ambient temperature is at the time, but it is easier to raise it and keep it constant than to lower it and keep it constant.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi Roger. I standardize at 83F with 2 minute times (incl a 10 sec drain) for both Dev and Blix. This is
    with Kodak RA/RT used one-shot in a drum. The chemicals are preheated in a simple tempering bath.
    I preheat the drum with plain water, and also include a brief stop plus water rinse after the developer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin