Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,450   Online: 974

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

35mm Fuji Astia - kept in fridge but Use By is March 2010

Hi

I bought some Fuji Astia 35mm transparancy film about 3 years ago. I used one film and the results were great. The other film I have still not used though, for various reasons. It has never been frozen but has been in my fridge ever since, for about the last 3 years. The only exception has been the occasional day when I took it out with me but came back with it, having not used it.

The "Use By" date is March 2010.

My questions is : is it likely to still be OK now, or am I best off throwing it away? I ask because I am going on holiday and intend to use it for some landscape scenes, but I won't if it is likely to be of poor quality.

Ted
    Ted Smith Photography
    Hasselblad 501CM...my 2nd love.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm sure it will be fine, but if you want to dispose of it, I run a special film disposal unit. As a special introductory offer, All it will cost you is the price of postage to me!

Steve.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    It will be totally useless. I'll go one better than the offer above, though, and will cover the cost of postage to me so that I can dispose of it for you. That's the generous sort of chap I am!

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both of you run fraudulent film disposal units. I am the only internationally recognized film disposal company in the world by law you must surrender any and all expired film to me for proper disposal.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Ted

This question is very close to the bone for me as a Lab Owner that processes film, not E6 but C41 and BW.

The short answer to your question the film will be fine, do a clip test and make your adjustments with the balance.

The long answer , is that Our Lab is deciding to no longer run colour film or for that matter single run black & White for clients that we have not historically run film for.
    We will still run Black and White for clients we know are buying fresh film, and we will only run our personal colour film .* we do a lot of this*

Over the last five years , our technicians and myself have found the film being supplied to us is in some cases, rolled so tight , curly and long expired.
    This film requires longer times to load, more handling problems and now we are seeing cross curves or imperfections in the film that we never would of experienced in the not so long ago film days.
    No matter what we do or say, we are open to problems and like many other E6 labs and C41 labs we are deciding to stop processing suspect film.
    There are labs that recover old film, but they specialize in old film and there is no question of the film being old, so both parties are aware of the potential problems.
    I use single shot Jobo's and basically each run is the same as what we did 15 years ago, but what is changing is photographers are buying outdated film for a buck or two and then exposing it,, who knows what storage conditions, but you can bet , if there are problems the first finger points to the Lab.

This may seem silly on us to take this position, but we have built a reputation on good process, and are not willing to wreck havoc on our past good work.
    We do make mistakes , but with film its not fixable, like redoing a print or re mount a print.

There are threads popping up on the different forums where photographers are complaining about bad process of labs.. I think we will not try to be in this mix.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    I've used Astia (120), Provia (135) and Kodak slide film several years after expiry date without problems. They were kept cool or even frozen though.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    @ted_smith - The film should be absolutely fine....I'm currently using Astia expired 2007 and 2008 which was bought by me as "short-dated" around the time it expired. It has been frozen since for most of the time, then moved into the fridge for up to two-or-three months until needed.

@bobcarnie - My first reaction was surprise that old films were causing you so many lab problems, given that the expiry dates allow so much latitude, and that most analogue photographers are aware of the need to use fresh film for important work. But I guess that are always a few people who want to save a few $$, then need to blame someone else when things go wrong! (My old boss used to say "customers who want a cheap job won't later admit that they wanted a cheap job when it doesn't work out"!)
    Last edited by railwayman3; 07-05-2011 at 12:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I just finished this year the last roll of Astia from my previous bulk-purchase, it would expire in 2008 IIRC, maybe even in 2007. If you keep rolls in the fridge, and you bought them from a reputable shop, there should be no problem at all.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As in previous posts, I wouldn't worry about it.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Freezing is better than refrigerating, but it ought to be fine. Shoot a roll to see first before you commit it to something important.

It's not too late to freeze it by the way. Degradation occurs much more slowly to frozen film than to refrigerated film, although refrigerating does help.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin