Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,424   Online: 702

Shooter
    Multi Format

4th of July with Portra 400, 160, and 400h

I know how much people like to see examples of different films, so I shot a little bit of a variety on the 4th

I shot with the new Portra 400, 1 roll of the 160, 1 roll of Kodak BW400CN, and 2 rolls of 400h I had left in my fridge. Shot all of these on my F100 and most with the 35mm f/1.4G. The one with the fireworks and firepit were shot with the 24mm f/1.4G.

I got GREAT results with the Kodak, love the warm tone with it! All the exposures came out great, I only had a couple that were dicey. All these got scanned off a Frontier.

Enjoy!

Portra 400

Portra 160

Portra 160

Portra 400

Portra 400

Portra 400

BW400CN

Portra 400

400h

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Whoops! 10 images max. Here's the last one:

400h

Aside form a little bit of burning in the black and white shots, these are all straight from the lab, all I did was resize them.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Wow, the 2nd and 11th images are great. Thanks for posting! Looks like you definitely had an All-American holiday.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice work!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm diggin that fireworks shot!

did you do the scanning and processing, or did you outsource? The reds in the Portra 160 sure are accenutated, how did you rate these different emulsions, box speed?

thanks for sharing!

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Really nice photos.

I really miss BW400CN on 120. I loved that film...
    Have/had Mamiya RB, Rollei 6003, Hasselblad, Nikonos, Canon EOS, Leica R, Fuji Instax...and some other stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the comments!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Wow, the 2nd and 11th images are great. Thanks for posting! Looks like you definitely had an All-American holiday.
    Thanks! All-American no doubt, actually just got home from buckin' some hay
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    I'm diggin that fireworks shot!

did you do the scanning and processing, or did you outsource? The reds in the Portra 160 sure are accenutated, how did you rate these different emulsions, box speed?

thanks for sharing!

-Dan
    I rated all of these at half box speed. the BW, Portra400, and 400h were all shot at ISO 200, the 160 was shot at 80.

I did the scanning and processing myself. My old boss lets me go in the back and do my own scanning and processing as long as I help out in the lab while i'm at it. These are pretty much straight off the Fuji Frontier. On the scanner I usually subtract a few points worth of cyan so the backlit pictures don't have blue skintones. The only thing I did was burn in a little bit on the B&W shots in photoshop and resize everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by film_man View Post
    Really nice photos.

I really miss BW400CN on 120. I loved that film...
    Thanks! Yeah it's interesting film, i tried using a red filter for about the first half of the roll than I was shooting with a different lens that coudln't fit the filter. the ones with the filter almost look soft, or hazy. Not sure if it's the lens (24-120VR), or the filter, but the red filter+CN B&W didn't really look the same as when I shot with actual B&W with the red filter. That BW400CN though is CONTRASTY i tell you whut, the blacks, go BLACK.

Shooter
    35mm
    BEAUTIFUL!!! amazing photos! bravo!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    My old boss lets me go in the back and do my own scanning and processing as long as I help out in the lab while i'm at it. These are pretty much straight off the Fuji Frontier.
    You are sooo lucky! Keep up the good work!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great shots! Looks like you had a lot of fun.

I love Portra 400 at box speed though it has such great latitude I find I can shoot it at 100-1600 with great results.

160NC I used to shoot at 100-125 and have tried the new 160 at box speed but prefer it too at 100-125.

I used to shoot a lot of BW400CN and the pro version before that (TCN400 and Portra B&W IIRC), then I switched to Ilford XP-2 which you can still get in 120.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin