Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,698   Online: 786

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Old Jobo Tetanol C-41 Press Kit - spoiled?

I've had a Jobo Tetenol C-41 Press Kit, 1 liter, powdered, that is many years old. I am not sure when I bought it, but probably back in 2003 or so. When I opened the developer packet, I noticed a lot of brown flecks in the powder. When I mixed it with 800ml water as directed, it turned out a somewhat turbid dark amber, almost brown color.

I'm guessing the developer is spoiled, oxidized, even though it was in a sealed foil pouch. Surely the developer shouldn't be brown. But I've never used one of these press kits before, so I figured I'd ask.

Can anyone confirm?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After sitting a bit, the turbidity has disappeared. It is now clear, but it has the color of dark apple juice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I developed two rolls of 120 Fuji NPS 160, and one roll each 35mm Kodak Portra 160 VC, Supra 100, and Ektar 100. The negs all look good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am going to go out on an limb and say that your old Jobo Tetanol C-41 Press Kit has not spoiled.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Based on my results, I'd have to agree. But the proof will be in the printing. Even so, I am not going to push this kit beyond its recommended capacity, just in case that dark colored developer is a sign of aging. Now, time to order some RA-4 chemicals.

I processed this film using 1500 series drums in my Jobo CPP-2 using the Hewes-made Jobo stainless steel reels. I've had the SS reels and cores for years, but this was my first time to use them. I'd always used the plastic reels in the past. The SS reels are a pleasure to use.
    Last edited by SkipA; 07-10-2011 at 09:03 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You sure that's darker than normal? You're talking dark apple juice here and I usually refer to mine as looking like iced tea (when freshly mixed). Sounds the same to me, but these are hardly scientific descriptions, haha.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    C-41 chems aside from stabilizer are not clear like B&W chemicals. The developer should be dark like iced tea and the blix should be darker like prune juice. When you can't tell them apart it is time to mix up a new batch I run 25 rolls per 1L of JOBO Press Kit but I test clip after 12-16 rolls to make sure it isn't dead because it dies quickly when it dies in my experience.

Powder lasts almost forever unless the packages leak and oxidize. I just mixed up some old Microphen 600mL which comes with development times for FP4 and HP5 (before the plus versions). It worked great on Delta 3200! Of course I clip tested first. Those films were discontinued in 1990 so the powder must be at least 20 years old...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tbeaman View Post
    You sure that's darker than normal? You're talking dark apple juice here and I usually refer to mine as looking like iced tea (when freshly mixed). Sounds the same to me, but these are hardly scientific descriptions, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    C-41 chems aside from stabilizer are not clear like B&W chemicals. The developer should be dark like iced tea and the blix should be darker like prune juice. When you can't tell them apart it is time to mix up a new batch I run 25 rolls per 1L of JOBO Press Kit but I test clip after 12-16 rolls to make sure it isn't dead because it dies quickly when it dies in my experience.

Powder lasts almost forever unless the packages leak and oxidize. I just mixed up some old Microphen 600mL which comes with development times for FP4 and HP5 (before the plus versions). It worked great on Delta 3200! Of course I clip tested first. Those films were discontinued in 1990 so the powder must be at least 20 years old...

Thanks for the comments, guys. It didn't occur to me to compare the color of the developer to iced tea because the way I brew my tea it comes out nearly as dark as cola. That's why I said dark apple juice. It was the only thing that occurred to me. But the comparison to ice tea is appropriate if I think of what I'm served in a restaurant.

I'll have a couple more rolls to run through this batch of chemicals this weekend. And now I'm on the hunt (perhaps Fuji Hunt) for RA-4 chemicals. It's rather tedious to source some of these chemicals.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Kodak Ektacolor RA RT for prints since I can get the 10L size by mail.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    SkipA, 127.0.0.1 is not a location.

if you are in Canada or the lower 48 states in the US, Kodak RA4 10 liter kits are as near as your computer, adorama.com in the US, Photocentral.ca in Canada. For Photocentral, you might have to send an email, I don't see it on their new website, but dev and blix kits are normally stocked items.
    Bob

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin