Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,744   Online: 946

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You guys have it all wrong! As the ad says - it is "perfect" for Lomography!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Rahman View Post
    You guys have it all wrong! As the ad says - it is "perfect" for Lomography!
    I don't do Lomography, though I have a lot of old, expired films.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    Some people have more money than brains.

Even better, ten years ago brand new Nikon rear lens caps were selling at $5 over retail, shipping extra.
    Collecting is not a rational endeavor (try buying a first generation Campagnolo Super Record rear derailleur). In the case of film, as PE noted, there's practical aspects to consider unless that film was going to sit in a display cabinet forever. But if you can sleep at night knowing what you've paid I say follow your heart; yuppie epiphanies drive the world's economies. (As an aside, few seem to apply their worth metrics to automobiles, an "investment" that usually loses half its value in five years. Go figure.)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    Collecting is not a rational endeavor
    But it is rational. The current neurological basis for artifact collection is that it assists memory thereby aiding longevity.

It only becomes irrational when positioned against a purely artificial human construct like personal finances.

In the collective, this is the reason why we have museums and art galleries, very often with free admission. They assist our collective memory and enhance survival.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristophanes View Post
    But it is rational. The current neurological basis for artifact collection is that it assists memory thereby aiding longevity.

It only becomes irrational when positioned against a purely artificial human construct like personal finances.

In the collective, this is the reason why we have museums and art galleries, very often with free admission. They assist our collective memory and enhance survival.
    I disagree. 1) My memory would be assisted no more by owning four Nikon Fs than by owning one, unless I had always owned them and they were part of my lived past. 2) Money, strictly, is irrelevant here. The price one pays for a lens is not the point; the point is that one paid perhaps a great deal because, e.g., that lens has a serial number the same as a similar lens you already own, incremented by one. It assigns "extra" physical value to a mathematical construct and not to the object itself. 3) People collect to possess. As soon as my local museum lets me walk out with a Maria Martinez wedding vase I'll include them as assisting me as a collector. What I see is that, to enhance survival, people visit museums only to loot them. Otherwise, museums are a reflection of a (genteel) populace that has already satisfied the "baser" needs of survival. See Maslow. 4) I'm not a psychologist, but bleeding people to adjust the humors also used to be current.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    And Vanbar has Provia 400X for $38/roll

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin