Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,204   Online: 992

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Why is Samy's being so annoying

Does anyone use Samy's camera for mail-order processing?

I have always got my 35mm E-6 film developed at Samy's camera for $5/roll. I have PDF order forms which I fill out and mail in with the film, and I get my slides back in about a week. I have been doing this for years, but the last time I sent any film in was about 4 months ago.

I recently went to their website to get their latest pricing on C-41 (I have C41 order forms as well, but the pricing info isn't very complete on the order form). I spent like 10 minutes on their website trying to find film processing, found nothing whatsoever, gave up, called them, they gave me the number to their film lab, so I hung up and called that, and the guy at the film lab says that they don't, and have never, done mail order processing of any sort. He insisted that he's worked there for years and if you mail your film in, that you have to come pick it up in person, and it's always been that way.

Has Samy's stopped processing film? I can't find the PDF order forms on their website, so it's possible that they stopped processing film. But what's weird is the guy on the phone insists that he has worked there for years and they have never done film processing by mail.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Check out BWC Photo Imaging, 400 Maple Ave., Dallas. I have been getting very good results and excellent service from them. They may be near you.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any chance they have more than one film processing location, and you were given the number for a "satellite" location?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Samy's Santa Barabara (Store 805?) is the one that processes film or used to. Did you call that one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I worked for Samy's(Pasadena store) for close to 1 1/2 years up until early 2009. I NEVER head about the Santa Barbara store having in-house E-6 AND C-41 dip-n-dunk processing. I sent over $2k worth of processing to A+I while I worked at the store, and the film came out fine, but Samy's did it for 1/2 the price. Let me just say, when I found out about it AFTER I left, I was PISSED! My manager knew about the in-house lab all along, but she never told me about it. BUUUUUUUUMMMMERRRR!!!!

Unfortunately, word doesn't get out to all the stores equally, and the in-house communications can really SUCK. Heck, even when the computer says that a store has 15 of one item, and you call that store to transfer over 2-3 for your stock, they sometimes came back and said it wasn't there. Then I stop in a week later(none was on order btw) on my day off while in that part of town(LA "main" store), and low-and-behold?: 15 of that item sitting on the shelf. Laziness at its finest. And just FYI, just cause someone works behind the film counter doesn't mean they shoot film(at least primarily). Its kinda sad, Samy's is pretty much the last big game store here in LA ,but the customer service can sometimes stink. Almost a "we don't give a sh!+ about you, just buy something"...

However, there ARE some really cool people who bust their asses to help people out. I haven't talked much with the SB people since they're over 100mi from me(I mail my stuff to them), but the few times I have, its always been very cordial, and very professional.

I just print out an e-6 or c-41 order form before I send it in(I emailed them to get the forms, they're separate pdf's), and I include a note w/ and special processing instructions(like only using the bottom section of the 8x10/4x5 racks, so 1 sheet/rack). No problems from their end so far. And I've been very happy with my results.

-Dan
    Last edited by DanielStone; 07-12-2011 at 05:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Definitely make sure it is the Santa Barbara location. Those sound like responses from somebody at one of the other locations (in which case, they may be true). S.B. is the only location with an in-house professional-quality processing lab (the same Refrema processors as A and I, in fact).
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Matt,
    If you were referring to BWC, that is the address I send my color transparency film to. Check their web-site for more details. I don't have their phone number handy.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was wanting to send in a roll of Provia 400x I shot, but the http://www.samys805.com site has been offline.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Samys on Fairfax has film processing on the first floor. You cannot miss it.

Samys on Sepulveda has film processing just twenty feet inside the door. You cannot miss it.

I do not know about the others stores. Samys on Sepulveda has always worked with me on processing.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Samys on Fairfax has film processing on the first floor. You cannot miss it.

Samys on Sepulveda has film processing just twenty feet inside the door. You cannot miss it.

I do not know about the others stores. Samys on Sepulveda has always worked with me on processing.

Steve
    What I said is:

Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    S.B. is the only location with an in-house professional-quality processing lab (the same Refrema processors as A and I, in fact).
    I did not say S.B. is the only location that processes film on site.

Just to be clear.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin