Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,209   Posts: 1,531,966   Online: 1164

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

C41 Bleach time with diluted Bleach?

So, I have a photo therm, but can only save either E-6 or C-41 bleach. I'm thinking I have 55L of C-41 bleach concentrate (don't ask) and just a cube of E-6, so I'm thinking of using the C-41 bleach at a lesser concentrate.

So if I mix the C-41 bleach at half normal strength and double the bleach time, would that work? I mean, bleach runs to completion, so could I just adjust my bleach time to say 10 minutes or 15 minutes and use half strength bleach?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    55L of C41 bleach?
    Let know know if you want to get rid of some and what type it is (Koadak BleachIII ?)
    Im in MD so it may be doable if you're game.

I can't answer your question and although it seems bleach capacities are conservative I wouldn't recommend half strength but I don't know the chemical processes well enough... so take it with a grain.

You can still find regenerator for C41 bleach but IDK if if E6 bleach can be regenerated as easily.
    Regeneration is similar to replenishment as it replaces depleted ingredients in the bleach and then you aerate it also, I'm assuming to add oxygen.

You may need to do a slight PH adjustment to regenerate C41 bleach but I misplaced this critical info.
    I did manage to score some C41 bleach regenerator but have not used it yet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Why are you wanting to dilute it more? Just mix it up as you need it.

Shooter
    35mm

C41 Bleach for E-6 Films

High Albert !!

I do use my c-41 (mydoneg air bleach III) for e-6 as well. But in the opposite to your attempt I take regular strength and prolong the bleaching time up to 8-10 min. This will do it for me, Dmin is at it’s level…

I would not dilute the c41 bleach, it has to work hard. In opposite to negative Film all silver is developed and has to rehalogenated by the bleach in order to get solved out of the layers by the following fixer. The least you can do is prolonging the reaction-time to give the (slightly weaker) c41 bleach the opportunity to do it’s job.

Edit:
    If you want to increase the lifetime /”mileage” of your Bleach simply regenerate it. Depending on the product you have to add only a small amount of regenerator. I double this amount due dilution in the reel tanks. In my case this will be only 30 ml /135 36exp.

Look out for some datasheets of your bleach and regenerate it. Oxygenate it with a aquarium bubble stone prior use, it will live nearly for ever… (only valid for reddish Fe EDTA bleaches, don’t oxygenate these greenish ammonium nitrate rapid bleaches)

Regards,
    Stefan
    Last edited by stefan4u; 07-16-2011 at 06:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    Why are you wanting to dilute it more? Just mix it up as you need it.
    I want it to last longer. This stuff mixes up 2.8 L Bleach + 1 L water, so it won't last as long as you'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    55L of C41 bleach?
    Let know know if you want to get rid of some and what type it is (Koadak BleachIII ?)
    It's Agfa CN-Bleach. I would suggest keeping your ear to the ground for stores that are discontinuing film developing, that's where I picked up cubes of E-6 Chemistry. The Agfa CN chemistry I picked up at a pawn shop who got it from a lab that went out of buisness years ago. Both discoveries because I have a ebay search that emails me whenever certain chemistry shows up on ebay.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan4u View Post
    High Albert !!

I do use my c-41 (mydoneg air bleach III) for e-6 as well. But in the opposite to your attempt I take regular strength and prolong the bleaching time up to 8-10 min. This will do it for me, Dmin is at itís levelÖ

I would not dilute the c41 bleach, it has to work hard. In opposite to negative Film all silver is developed and has to rehalogenated by the bleach in order to get solved out of the layers by the following fixer. The least you can do is prolonging the reaction-time to give the (slightly weaker) c41 bleach the opportunity to do itís job.

Regards,
    Stefan
    So you use c-41 bleach undiluted for both c-41 and E-6 ? I've heard that's not the best idea. I think the old SK4.3 photo therm did the same thing...

Shooter
    35mm
    High Albert

This may depend on your product and processing times, but the way I do it with my chemicals it works simply fine. Quite a time ago I had a e-6 homebrew phase. During measuring all the test stripes / control patches with a densitometer I found that the bleaching step was no problem. But I have to admit that my bleach may be a bit stronger than original due overreplenishment (to prevent activity loss by dilution by residual rinsing water)

Simply give it a try with prolonged bleach time (and well oxygenated) and do a test at your own material.

Regards,
    Stefan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wouldn't dilute bleach, I don't think you'll get more mileage out of it, just longer processing times.

Develop->Stop->Rinse->Bleach may get more use out of it then simply Develop->Bleach

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    I wouldn't dilute bleach, I don't think you'll get more mileage out of it, just longer processing times.

Develop->Stop->Rinse->Bleach may get more use out of it then simply Develop->Bleach
    Iím absolutely with you, no dilution al all.

But somehow Iím not sure of Albertís intention. The way I understood him he does have a large amount of C41 bleach but only one packet of E-6 bleach. I assumed that he wants to use C41 bleach for E-6 processing, thatís the reason for my previous postingsÖ
    Can anybody enlighten me

Regards Stefan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    actually, my phototherm allows me to save one chemical, I'm going to save E-6 bleach and use c-41 bleach one shot. Thought if I diluted it, my supply would last longer. Might just put a valve on the save line and save both bleaches.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin