Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,469   Posts: 1,570,879   Online: 1087

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I do on 135, 120 and 4x5. I like Provia, Astria and E100G. Not certain yet which emultion I prefer. Astia can be a bit too plain to my taste. I wish we could have Kodachrome back in 120 and sheet film. I love slides, both on the light table with a good loupe or projected (35mm and 6x6). The "being there" feeling is unbeatable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Memories are made of this . . .

Everyone finding a comfortable position in the living-room. You can feel the excitement in the air.
    Grandpa (me) extending the silver screen into position, and forgetting how it snaps into place, followed by Grandpa speaking in a foreign language.
    The sound of a high speed fan.
    The distinct smell of overheated wiring and burnt electrical windings circulating throughout the room.
    The sound of gears and levers shuffling another slide behind the lens.
    The silhouette of a small human on the screen, followed by . . . That's me! That's me! That's me!
    Grandma laughing, and Grandpa saying . . . "How the hell did that slide get in there!"
    The blinding light that comes after the last slide in this carousel has been shown.
    The occasional loud "POP!" and everything goes dark, followed by Grandpa using words in a foreign language, again.

:-) I do love slides.

I have exposed about ten rolls of ELITE Chrome 100 this year. It only costs about $5 per roll to have them developed and mounted here locally. For family snap-shots and the memories that accompany them, it's worth every penny.

Dann

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great story Dann !

My aunt showed me pictures from her 1972 study abroad trip to Europe, and fortunately she shot the majority on Kodachrome. There's nothing like seeing people in your family when they were your current age, and wondering where you'll be when you're they're age.

All told, it is the greatest way to view pictures from a roll of film. It becomes a "show", and where else are you going to see your own pictures that big, and in such vibrant beautiful colors?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I rarely shoot color now but years ago I did use transparency film for some people pictures. It should be no different than using other film. It would have less exposure latitude than print film. As with other color films the color temperature of the light could have a noticeable effect. Dare I say here it probably would be easier than color negative film color-wise to scan if you were so inclined.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I cracked off a few pictures of my neighbors about 30 minutes ago on some E100VS. I just dropped it off to get developed and will see hopefully later today or tomorrow what happens.

Shooter
    35mm
    Kodak E100G is my favorite film for people, reversal or negative. I like the results with Kodak Elite Chrome and Provia as well but just not as well as E100G. http://www.lamarlamb.com/People/Laur...47219617_te2mn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot transparencies when I want to push and pull color film, for the most part.

For portraits, I don't really shoot transparencies, since when I shoot people on film, I generally intend to make type C prints. Usually if I do shoot portraits on transparency film, it is because the transparency is somehow part of the intended presentation (backlit). That usually means at least 6x7 format, but more likely sheet film. I've done portrait "sculptures" on more than one occasion, but it is not common. it is almost always negative film.

Fashion and other products, OTOH, are great with transparency film IMO, because it lets you view and select the images directly, with the characteristics of the film you chose clearly visible. Since I don't often intend to make type C prints from fashion or prouct pix, but will have them scanned in the end, this is a preferable "workflow" to me. Transparencies give you a pretty good idea of what the final product will look like without having to print or scan first. In the cases I do shoot film instead of digital for this subject matter, it is to obtain higher quality than small format digital can offer. That is not needed all that often.

Now, if I shot fashion and still lifes for my own "artistic" uses, I'd probably want the final product to be type C prints, so I'd shoot negative film. But I do not often shoot these things for my own purposes. Shooting them for other people, if it is film at all, it is usually transparencies.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-22-2011 at 09:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So I just got back and looked over my film, the E100G is definaylu less contrasty, and has more realistic color. The E100VS looks very vibrant and the couple portraits I did with it look amazing on a light table! They had very even light since they were in open shade, and the high contrast just worked perfect for the flat lighting. I'll post them up on here when I get them scanned for sure! What really surprised me was despite them being in the shade, the color isn't very blue. LOVE IT.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The color may not look that blue, but I can pretty much guarantee you that would like them even more if they had been filtered (assuming neutrality is your goal). At the very least, I'd recommend one of the 81 series filters when shooting in light open shade. In deep shade, I would go for the full-on 85 filter, and also keep an 82 series filter in your bag to cool that off a bit if desired.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'll echo those who like E100G. It's become my favorite color film for any time 100 is fast enough. Lovely stuff, including for portraits, lovely enough that it sorely tempts me to order up some Ilfochrome again, high price or not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin