Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,553   Posts: 1,599,213   Online: 1181

Shooter
    35mm

Old Kodacolor Gold 400...

Hey everybody,

I just bought an AE-1 Program kit(1) off eBay that came with some period(2) Kodacolor 400 inside, around 15 shots were exposed. I followed instructions on Photography In Malaysia's website (MIR) and rewound the film, opening the back cover after the counter reached "S" only to find the film had not fully rewound! probably only around 2-3 frames were exposed, I could see the film leader wrapped around the spindle-thing (words escape me this morning!) I immediately closed the cover and forced the re-wind knob to finish the job - the first time it just spun back, in what I can only assume as a statement of arrogent defiance for its new owner.

So a couple of questions pertain:
    1) For lack of an alternative, I was going to process normally ie. commercially, so should I send it to a Pro Lab (Peak Imaging is the one I use for BW/E6) or my local supermarket (Asda)? Asda massively increase contrast and saturation in their prints, which benefits other expired C-41 films (albeit shot recently) I've sent to them.

2) Whats the likelihood Ill get some discernable images back? And when did they actually stop making Kodacolor Gold 400? It has the 80's Kodacolor VR packaging (the film carton end label came with the camera), not the 90's packaging with the omnipresent "GOLD" written on it. Have I ruined all the images by prematurely opening the cover, or just the first few shots?

Any help would be appreciated.

(1) Slightly grubby AE-1 Program (with classic "Canon Cough", though i think its rather cute!), Disintegrating leatherette case, misshapen rubber eyepiece, pristine 50/1.8 and Hoya 1B for £22.60, Was that a good deal?
    (2) The date code puts this model at Dec. '82, though I doubt the film is that old.
    OM-2n, 50/1.8 (Black) | AE-1 Program, 50/1.8 (Silver)
    flickr.
    My other little piece of the Web.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think I would get development only (do Asda do this?) and then see what's on the negs. I checked your flickr and you've got some sort of scanner so you could at least make 'proof' scans. You shouldn't have ruined all the frames by opening the back - some of the film would have been rewound and another part would be tightly wound. Sounds like a good deal for the camera & lens!

P.S. I really like the grain on this.
    Steve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    And when did they actually stop making Kodacolor Gold 400? It has the 80's Kodacolor VR packaging (the film carton end label came with the camera), not the 90's packaging with the omnipresent "GOLD" written on it.
    Here’s a chronological listing of Kodacolor films.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodacol...ll_photography)

Shooter
    35mm
    I think I would get development only (do Asda do this?) and then see what's on the negs. I checked your flickr and you've got some sort of scanner so you could at least make 'proof' scans. You shouldn't have ruined all the frames by opening the back - some of the film would have been rewound and another part would be tightly wound. Sounds like a good deal for the camera & lens!

P.S. I really like the grain on this.
    I've read some Asda's do processing only if you ask for it, but I have to send some things to Peak anyway so ill just pop it in with that... And yes I have a lowly Epson V300 that Im just about getting by with! Im away on holiday this mon-fri so sometime next week Ill post with what I got back. Although I would be disappointed if nothing came out, I guess It was just an added bonus to the Camera kit....And thanks for the kind words, Its easily one of the best pictures I've taken in my 18 month career

Here’s a chronological listing of Kodacolor films.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodacol...ll_photography)
    I did see this before, but my roll is the last type which has no date when discontinued. So rather than a specific timeframe, all I can say is that its from 1986 or later.
    flickr.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well the negatives came back, and do indeed have discernable images on them. Time has taken its toll, of course, but I think I only ruined half of one frame by opening the back too early - the first 2 frames weren't exposed at all fortunately.

As for the content of the images, well I think my particular AE-1 may be a little posh!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AE1 Vintage001.jpg   AE1 Vintage003.jpg   AE1 Vintage006.jpg   AE1 Vintage008.jpg   AE1 Vintage009.jpg  

flickr.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you contact the ebay seller and ask if they wanted copies of the photos?
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    35mm
    I have. By coincidence they PM'd me today asking if I was interested in their Cobra Autowinder for the AE-1...So I am inclined to believe they are the original owners, or at least knew them. The camera was sent from Dorset (UK), which apparently is rather rural so that may be the location.

I should have said in the original post that I had to auto colour/tone in Photoshop; the raw scans had a blue mask which is undoubtedly due to the age. A few frames exposed by me prior to rewinding turned out exactly the same, save for the purple fringing around the edges.
    flickr.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recently acquired a few long expired kodak 120 films. The exp date shows 1990 to 1993. Thet are like new, in box, but never seemed to be refrigerated. Should I add 1 to 1.5 stops when I expose? Or should I push process them? I recently pricessed 2 4x5 sheets of vericolor negatives expired for around 14 years. Standard 3:15 c41 development diDn't seem to be enough.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin