Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,286   Online: 920

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    A definitive test would be to put two layers of black gaffer's tape over the gap in the case where you think the light leak is. If the problem goes away when you tape it shut and comes back when you don't, you have proven what the problem is.

You can also do this as a temporary measure to keep the camera operational until you can get it repaired.

BTW: Do you have a leather case for the camera? Keeping it in the case while there is film inside is another way to minimize the possibility of light leaks.
    Thanks for the info folks! I have a case for it...that it came in. When I received the camera, the outside of the case was covered with mildew. I put it through the wash and whatnot, and it looks pretty clean. The inside is definitely clean, but I'm still afraid to put anything in it. Definitely a good idea though. I think I'll try the tape method.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    BTW: Do you have a leather case for the camera? Keeping it in the case while there is film inside is another way to minimize the possibility of light leaks.
    That's exactly what I am doing now. I keep only the lower part of the ever-ready case, which protects it from light. I know this will work because the blue stripe, in my roll with the problem, was only in the last frames. I shot most of the roll with the ever-ready case, in the historical centre of Rome, but then took some pictures in my house, on a tripod, and so used the camera without the case.

The frames affected were the last ones (four or so) among those taken in the historical centre and then the ones taken at home but not the last two or so. Considering that the roll is rolled in the receiving sprocket with the emulsion "outside", I infer that the frames taken in Rome which were affected were the last ones because they were hit by the leak while they were rolled around the receiving sprocket.

The last two frames were not affected, which means the leak is in the right side of the back, not the left (where the transparent window is). They are not affected because they never reached the leakage on the receiving sprocket.

The leakage appears on the lower side, so it's on the upper side of the camera. Upper-side-right is the small dent in the foam.

The only real problem I have in confirming this is to waste a roll or two. I'll have to buy a couple 12-frame rolls, I guess.

I don't understand why is the leakage blue. If the leakage is from the foam, I would expect a white mark.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I replaced the hinge seals on the Minolta X700, and I think it has fixed my problem. We'll know the truth tomorrow when I get the negs scanned, but looking at them in the light tonight, I don't see the line like there is in the other rolls. Time to throw in a roll of Ektar into this baby!

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm glad to say that I believe the problem is solved! Thanks for all the help and advice!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A scratch?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin