Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,717   Posts: 1,514,833   Online: 906

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I had to shoot just one transparency film, it would be a "standard" type, like E100G or Provia. Having just one is not ideal, but with one of those two and some creative manipulation (i.e. exposure changes and pushing and pulling), one could shoot most things pretty well.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ok, thanks guys, there's a lot I have to consider. I'm kind of liking the Ektachrome E100VS right now. One thing I'm worried about with that film is the grain. If you look at this picture http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosemania/4299837724/ you can see a lot of grain in the blue sky. Is that the actual film, or is it because it was scanned?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Treymac View Post
    Ok, thanks guys, there's a lot I have to consider. I'm kind of liking the Ektachrome E100VS right now. One thing I'm worried about with that film is the grain. If you look at this picture http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosemania/4299837724/ you can see a lot of grain in the blue sky. Is that the actual film, or is it because it was scanned?
    It's nowhere near that grainy. That looks like a consumer 800 or 1600 speed color neg. film. You are also talking about 4x5, so grain is the least of your worries.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Went to Vistek in Calgary today and they no longer process E-6! I'm rethinking slide film altogether now... what to do with all the darn rolls of 120 I have. Anyway, this isn't helpful for your situation, but I do want you to think about your desire to shoot E-6. Maybe C-41 would be cheaper and more easily printed or scanned anyway?
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Treymac View Post
    No way is that the grain from E100VS. I have had Elite Chrome (the 35mm "consumer" version) blown up to 20x24 on Cibachrome, and while the grain is there, it's imperceptible from normal viewing distance (3-4 ft away).
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree that's not the grain. Though it should be noted that E100VS and Elitechrome Extra Color at RMS 11 are both grainier than E100G and Elitechrome at RMS 8.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would strongly recommend astia 100F, especially if you are new to slide film and uncertain about the lighting conditions (particularly the contrast). This is a film with neutral tone and a good ability to hold highlights. It also scans very well. Astia can also deliver pleasing skin tones.

In my experience, provia has poor neutrality if color temp isn't just right, and none of the velvias have the latitude of astia. I do like velvia 100 for some subjects but if you have light peeking through clouds or reflecting off water velvia is not the right choice in my opinion. And neither is provia, because you probably won't be at 5000K in overcast conditions.

Among the fuji slide films, my other favourite is provia 400x, which I like far more than provia 100F. But alas it is not available in 4x5.

Put a 612 back on your 4x5 and bracket!!! Just a thought.

P.S. And I salute your decision to shoot slide, it has a unique power and, particularly in overcast conditions, can really sing. Analoguers should be shooting slide like crazy right now- we don't know how much longer we will have it and it provides for some amazing analogue slideshow presentations... and amazing scans and prints too.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Treymac:

If you would like to see what 120 E100G or the recently discontinued E100GX actually looks like, pm me and we might be able to get together.

For now, this is a scan from 120 E100GX:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 081006-004b.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In my limited experience, E100VS has much less grain than that. I just got back a roll of E100VS shot on an XPan and scanned on a minicab scanner at 4000dpi - it looks good to me in the sky.

This also might be of some use:
    http://www.landscapegb.com/2011/06/c...mparison-pt-3/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin