Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,882   Online: 1163

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

What slide film is best for me?

Hi guys,

In September I am going to be doing a photo shoot on the docks (if I can get permission). So my question is, what film should I use? I'm going to be shooting 4x5 and I want to use a positive film. I've done some researching and I just can't narrow it down to what film to go with. I've seen examples of the differences between Veliva, Provia, and Astia, but I have trouble trying to imagine what they would look like for my shoot. I know that Kodak also has good film, so what do you guys recommend? I'm also going to be scanning the negatives.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You've got a bit of time, so I'd say do some testing first and discover your own reactions to the options. Color aesthetics are really variable from person to person, and one person's "natural" rendition may be another's "bland" or "overcooked".

Any idea what lighting conditions you should expect for the shoot? Can you do a "dry run" somewhere nearby in similar conditions to get an idea of how various films will render it?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The problem is that I can't do a lot of testing, buying one pack of film for the actual shoot is going to be expensive enough.

I'm thinking that the weather will be sunny as it usually is in Vancouver for most of September. However, with the way the weather has been for this summer it'll probably be cloudy and raining

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd talk with my lab about this question.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I'd talk with my lab about this question.
    Do you mean the lab that I will be buying the film from, or where I'll get it developed?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sunny? E100G. Cloudy and raining? E100VS.

I prefer E100VS over Velvia as the colour seems nicer, plenty of wow/impact, which is often missing on Velvia in sunlit conditions with good exposure (just looks high contrast and saturated to me). Plus it deals much better with colder light situations imho.

Scanning the positives. :P

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

Middle of the road (you might say "standard") films would be Provia and E100G. They give the best balance of features in most situations.

A subdued film (less contrast and saturation) would be Astia. It can help combat high contrast, but can also look like mud if shot in unsuitable lighting. And it isn't a good choice if you want the colors to really pop.

The snappier films are E100VS, and all three varieties of Velvia.

Velvia 50 and 100 are both very contrasty and saturated. The main difference is in color balance; the 50 is warmer. 100F is the least snappy of the Velvias, but definitely gives more saturation than Provia. It is also not warm like the 50.

So, you only have six choices, three of which are varieties of Velvia.

I'd say that if you are in doubt about which film to use, just go for E100G or Provia.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 07-24-2011 at 03:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Treymac View Post
    Do you mean the lab that I will be buying the film from, or where I'll get it developed?
    Talk with the lab where you get it developed.

One of the benefits of the discussion as compared to discussing this here on APUG is that you can relate in detail what you expect the scene to be like and what results you are looking for.

Of course if you can talk to an experienced photographer who uses large format transparency material for subjects like this, you might get the same benefit.

It is the benefits of a back and forth discussion with an experienced user that you should seek. The web isn't ideal for that.

And a discussion with your lab will also help you if you are considering multiple uses of the final product (e.g. scans plus ???)
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Treymac View Post
    The problem is that I can't do a lot of testing, buying one pack of film for the actual shoot is going to be expensive enough.

I'm thinking that the weather will be sunny as it usually is in Vancouver for most of September. However, with the way the weather has been for this summer it'll probably be cloudy and raining
    Purchase the film in a smaller format for your tests. Why spend the money based upon advice given by a stranger. I can see narrowing your choices, but then you must do the work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bwcolor View Post
    Purchase the film in a smaller format for your tests. Why spend the money based upon advice given by a stranger. I can see narrowing your choices, but then you must do the work.
    Even buying it in smaller sizes and developing is too costly right now, that's why I'm trying to narrow it down to one film to go with and whatever the end result is, it is what it is. I'm just trying to make the best pre-determination of what to go with when I actually do the shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin