Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,974   Posts: 1,558,732   Online: 806

Shooter
    35mm

My latest photo shoot with Ektachrome E100VS (35 mm)

Just wanted to post some of my latest photos done on Ektachrome E100VS with my EOS 3 and 100 mm macro 2.8. What do you guys think :

any feedback welcome.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not an expert of product photography, and I only give you my sensations on looking your images. This is not "professional" advice, you certainly know more than me on this matter.

In the first image, the shape of the entire object is nowhere to be seen, even though there are three of them. One "shape" I would show in its entirety. I would also use less "water" (whatever you used to simulate water) to make the trademarks more clear, I would avoid stripes of droplets, and expose a bit more (or raise with "curves"). I would avoid colour in the reflection in the third object, both because it doesn't make clear what the real colour of the object is and because it makes the product name less readable.

For the second image, I would use a full bottle, because the way it is now the brand is not immediately recognisable. I would try also to lighten the liquid. That would involve placing some light behind the bottle (so that the liquid appears of its own colour instead of that of the background) and placing some diffuser on the right, and a light source behind it, so that its reflection on the bottle highlights the trademark.

Also, it is not clear if the matter on which the bottle rests is a velvet cloth. If that is a perfume, and that is velvet cloth, I would avoid "droplets". It's IMV either some form of "luxury presentation" (which does not involve water) or some form of bathroom setting (which does not involve velvet).

But if your client wants it this way, nothing to say, client is king.

I think I am going to set up a small "studio" for product study this winter, I think it is a very interesting matter.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the top one has a freshness about it, but I agree with Diapositivo; I'd like to see one bottle more clearly and the reflections in the right-hand bottle top are distracting. Perhaps you need a soft-box or a large, white reflector to eliminate these reflections. Half a stop more exposure would make those colours really glow.

The second one is about a stop under-exposed; I can hardly see the liquid or the product name. The dark background is nicely done and the cap reflection is a nice highlight. The reflections on the bottle's shoulders are again distracting; again I think you need a large white reflector or a soft-box. All IMO, of course.

P.S. I think there's a crtitque forum around here somewhere...

Cheers,
    kevs.
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post

P.S. I think there's a crtitque forum around here somewhere...

Cheers,
    kevs.
    But the OP would have to be a subscriber to use it ....

To the OP: I like how you have used reflections in the top image, but I too find it hard to actually identify the product itself.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Firts shot is FANTASTIC !!!! In fact, it has inspired me to try something similar. You should definitely post this shot on Flickr, and add it to the I Shoot Film group.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Makes me want to paint my nails. ...er, did I just say that out loud?

Colors are great.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Makes me want to paint my nails. ...er, did I just say that out loud?

Colors are great.
    Thanks Bill !

I've been looking for a new signature line.
    You'll be credited, as usual !

Ron

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin