Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,492   Posts: 1,571,371   Online: 984

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516171822 ... LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, my interest in the Kodak chemicals is renewed.

Does this include absolutely everything I need to make the developer? :
    http://www.uniquephoto.com/chemistry...4668755http://

Also, I'm confused as to whether this makes five liters or five gallons -- the item description says liters; the pixelated stock image shows gallons...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bvy View Post
    Okay, my interest in the Kodak chemicals is renewed.

Does this include absolutely everything I need to make the developer? :
    http://www.uniquephoto.com/chemistry...4668755http://

Also, I'm confused as to whether this makes five liters or five gallons -- the item description says liters; the pixelated stock image shows gallons...
    That plus bleach, fix, and stabilizer. Look at posts #71 and #80, that's all you need. You already have the developer (#71), now go to post #80 and select the remaining three items you need and you're set.
    --Mario

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    That plus bleach, fix, and stabilizer. Look at posts #71 and #80, that's all you need. You already have the developer (#71), now go to post #80 and select the remaining three items you need and you're set.
    Yes, I know about the bleach and fix. Talk of starter and replenisher always confused me. I wanted to make sure that this was everything needed to make the developer.

Have you bought this from them? Is it 5 gallon or 5 liter?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Have you bought this from them? Is it 5 gallon or 5 liter?
    No, I haven't yet. I will once I start developing color film.

Contact them and ask them to clarify for you if it is liters or gallons.
    --Mario

Shooter
    35mm
    Yup, that's the problem with Kodak chemistry. It's designed to be used in specific machines with varying modes of maintainence. You brought up developer starter. So did some others recently, not sure what thread. One long time Kodak user didn't use the starter, others do. A quick look at the MSDS showed it to be a restrainer. I.e., a fresh developer batch plus starter will give more consistent developing than without due to the making of potassium bromide as the films develop.

There's a point of diminishing returns with cost per roll decisions. Four dollars vs. one? Sure. One dollar vs. a quarter? Not so much.

And the claims of each of the several companies still making C-41 chemistry about how many rolls it will process are pretty conservative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul Verizzo:

You said "There's a point of diminishing returns with cost per roll decisions. Four dollars vs. one? Sure. One dollar vs. a quarter? Not so much." I'm not so sure what this means. I assume you're talking about replenishing etc. Bottom line, does your phrase "four dollars vs. one? Sure" mean you can pretty easily develop for $1 per roll? But that getting it down to $0.25 per roll is more difficult, if not impossible?

If so, sounds good to me: $1 per roll is awesome and I would not even think of working really hard to reduce that by a few quarters, with the added risk of uneven development.

thanks
    Jeff
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So this requires starter... You ruined my morning, Paul.

Shooter
    35mm
    jglass, it's that the first endeavor saves $3, the second, only 75 cents. Diminishing returns with great effort. Effort meaning perhaps buying in huge quantities and storing them.

I've been into photoraphy for well over half a century. It's my observation that many photographers get fixated on the costs. I can honestly recognize this because I'm guilty of it, too. If I buy film Brand X, I can save thirty cents a roll over Brand Y and probably get the same results. Or, buying bulk film instead of rolls. Oh, Lord, I've bought and rolled lots of bulk, all for that mythological several dollars a roll savings when I wasn't shooting very much.

I think anything under $3/roll for C41 processing is just fine, compared to the alternatives.

Mi dos centavos,

Shooter
    35mm
    So this requires starter... You ruined my morning, Paul.
    Apparently some people don't use it and they get the results that they get. No starter, it may be perfect enough. As I recall the developer starter is pretty cheap.

All the more reason to not use Kodak chemicals. If I anticipated a lot of developing, I would use the Tetenal 5 liter kit for about $75. Don't bother looking for instructions on the intertubes or even the home site. Ain't none, I'm pretty confident.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Starter is needed for most C41 developer. A bottle lasts a long time. The product pictured at the link a few posts up is for the LORR version, which is different than the regular C41. (more expensive, I think, but should still work ok). I don't use the LORR stuff, personally.

You can recycle C41 dev, but it's better not to. A box to make 5 gallons (19L) is about $25 from Adorama. that will do about 192 rolls of 120 or 35mm for me, or 48 sheets of 4x5, in my SSK4. I can live with using that one-shot, at that price, personally. (fix and final rinse are even cheaper. Bleach is more $ but can be recycled almost indefinitely.)

re: "If I anticipated a lot of developing, I would use the Tetenal 5 liter kit for about $75."

Why? The tetenal stuff is definitely lower grade, and more expensive than the Kodak chemistry.

-Ed

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin