Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,624   Online: 827

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mario -

SOme of the links in your first list of 4 items are to RA and SM versions. Was that intentional? I'd get a quote on all non-SM non-RA versions and see what that comes out to. I recall the fixer (regular C41) being much cheaper than what you have listed. I think a case of 4 1 gal bottles to make 20 or 25 gallons was about $40 or something. bleach is expensive no matter what version you buy, but it lasts a long time. (ok, not "forever" but essentially... ;-)

the solutions keep well. unmixed I have had C41 dev be fine for a year or more. Mixed, it's more like 6-8 weeks at most. Fix: lasts fine, from what I can tell so far (2+ years on unmixed solution). Bleach seems to last fine mixed or unmixed. Rinse seems to last fine (years) as it's basically just photoflo.

control strips are for processing to see if your C41 line is in order. You likely need a densitometer to use those, but they can be handy if you are getting strange results or want to run a really tight line (as far as specs of the processes). Mostly they are something a commercial lab would use to insure accurate processing. I've never run them but get great results nonetheless.

-Ed

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    Mario -

SOme of the links in your first list of 4 items are to RA and SM versions. Was that intentional? I'd get a quote on all non-SM non-RA versions and see what that comes out to. I recall the fixer (regular C41) being much cheaper than what you have listed. I think a case of 4 1 gal bottles to make 20 or 25 gallons was about $40 or something. bleach is expensive no matter what version you buy, but it lasts a long time. (ok, not "forever" but essentially... ;-)

the solutions keep well. unmixed I have had C41 dev be fine for a year or more. Mixed, it's more like 6-8 weeks at most. Fix: lasts fine, from what I can tell so far (2+ years on unmixed solution). Bleach seems to last fine mixed or unmixed. Rinse seems to last fine (years) as it's basically just photoflo.

control strips are for processing to see if your C41 line is in order. You likely need a densitometer to use those, but they can be handy if you are getting strange results or want to run a really tight line (as far as specs of the processes). Mostly they are something a commercial lab would use to insure accurate processing. I've never run them but get great results nonetheless.

-Ed
    Ed, that's what they quoted me. So, if they put RA and SM, is all their doing. It kind of scares me, if they don't know and I don't know, maybe I shouldn't rely on them.
    --Mario

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would try to stick to one "type" of C-41, if it was me. For me, the regular is the easiest and cheapest.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    I would try to stick to one "type" of C-41, if it was me. For me, the regular is the easiest and cheapest.
    Ed, but not even the places that sell this know what they have.
    --Mario

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    In EUROPE:
    MacoDirect (Germay) also has a Tetenal Colortec© E-6 3-Bath Kit for 1 litres and for 5 litres (besides several C-41 kits).
    See: http://www.macodirect.de/chemistry-c-765.html

I also found a French store called Labo Argentique. They seem to sell a lot of chemicals, but I have no experience with them. Anyone does? See:
    http://www.labo-argentique.com//boutique/chimie-couleur-c-251.html?osCsid=b6e1b81bec08f28217705e4011d855c1

Prices seem to differ from store to store, so it is good to check for each product.
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Nikon S2, Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T, Nikon F4s, Olympus Pen FT, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mario, I think as long as you settle on a particular version, and order what you need, the stores that sell it will not really need to make that decision. it's like other products - sometimes the consumer is more educated about the differences and variations than the person selling the product.

-Ed

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've read through out the entire thread and it seems that unicolor is not mentioned here that much. Is it a bad c41 kit? I'm planning to start with c41 here because i don't like how local labs held my negs here but it's a bit of a problem because it would pita to ship c41 chems to iran. I had manage to get chems from moersch without any problem. I'm planning to get unicolor powder from the Us and have a friend ship some boxes to me. I'm also a bit confused that the unicolor isn't listed as ORMD http://freestylephoto.biz/c1001-Colo...ls-Color-Print

So, does it mean that it could be shipped internationally? I check the MSDS and it looks like it's nt but i'm not 100% sure. I hope some can help me confirm it for me.

Thanks!
    FILM GUERILLA
    Film Photography All Day, Everyday!

FILM PHOTOGRAPHY BLOG
    FG Blog

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | GOOGLE+

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Unicolor C41 is not listed as ORMD becuase it is a powder kit (developer, blix, stabilizer). I have used it and it is good. I also used the Digibase liquid kit with separate bleach and fix but Freestyle no longer carries that and I went back to Unicolor. I have gotten 15 rolls of 135-36 or 120 with a 1-liter kit with no time compensation and reduction in density the two times I used Unicolor 1-liter kits. I have always saved up 15 rolls and used the 1-liter kit within 2 weeks so I don't know if the solutions last longer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you live in Canada and are having trouble purchasing RA-4 or C-41 chemicals try the following source. I've purchased from this company a couple of times in the last few years and the service has been great. The address is: Hi-Tech Service Centre, 5143 Tomken Rd., Mississauga, ON, L4W 1P1. Their phone number is (905)-238-0388.
    Note: the website could use some work but don't let that scare you off - the product (RA-4 anyway, I haven't used their C-41) works fine. They will even mix you up some EP2 chemicals if you need them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by amateur_trombonist View Post
    If you live in Canada and are having trouble purchasing RA-4 or C-41 chemicals try the following source. I've purchased from this company a couple of times in the last few years and the service has been great. The address is: Hi-Tech Service Centre, 5143 Tomken Rd., Mississauga, ON, L4W 1P1. Their phone number is (905)-238-0388.
    Note: the website could use some work but don't let that scare you off - the product (RA-4 anyway, I haven't used their C-41) works fine. They will even mix you up some EP2 chemicals if you need them.
    Thanks for this - it looks very interesting!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin