Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,875   Posts: 1,520,202   Online: 1213

Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format

List of Color Chemicals and Where To Get Them

Since this is asked all the time and information seems to be sketchy, I decided to make this list of chemicals for the C-41, E-6, and RA-4 processes. This is not a definitive nor a complete list, but it will give you a place to go with a solid shopping list. If anyone has other locations or brands to add, please do. Alternatively you can PM me with the information and I will edit this post to reflect it once I check it out and verify it. The information I have is for North America, but I will add other countries if you send me a link.

C-41

For small 1L kits I would go with the repackaged Kodak kit from Photographer's Formulary or the Rollei kit from Freestyle Photo. In Europe the Rollei kits are available from Maco Direct in several sized kits or as individual parts.

Maco Direct also has available a 5 liter C-41 4 bath kit. Thanks to Diapositivo for the link.

For larger volumes it makes better economic sense to buy in bulk, in which case Kodak recommends their SM line of the Flexicolor chemicals. These can be purchased at mini-lab suppliers such as Photo Finishers Supplies, Inc. Orders are shipped UPS Ground and are calculated by weight. There are no HAZMAT fees. Or Pakor, which does charge HAZMAT.

The items needed for Flexicolor SM are:

Developer #KOC1756337 to make 6 x 2L
    Bleach #KOC8824690 premixed 2 x 2.7L
    Fixer #KOC8462681 premixed 2 x 3.9L
    Rinse #KOC1925254 to make 12 x 1.5L

No developer starter is needed. Each chemical is sold by the case which include the amounts listed above. Instructions for use can be found on Kodak tech sheet CIS-211.

The items needed for Flexicolor LORR are:

Developer Replenisher #444-0364 1 x 5 gal.
    Developer Starter #444-0375 to make 17.75 gal.
    Bleach #444-0401 1 x 5 gal.
    Fixer and Replenisher #444-0296 4 x 5 gal.
    Final Rinse and Replenisher #444-1044 2 x 75 gal.

Instructions for use can be found on Kodak tech sheet Z-131. Thanks Ed Sawyer for the info.

Trebla brand chemicals are available from Armadillo Photo Supply. They stock some older package sizes, so the ones listed here are current and what will be carried in the future.

Items needed are:

Developer #55DE550 to make 4 x 10L
    Developer Starter #55DE519 to make 1 x 1L
    Bleach #55BL563 to make 2 x 5L
    Fixer #55FX564 to make 2 x 10L
    Stabilizer #55ST595 to make 12 x 10L

E-6

At one time Kodak made a 5L kit for E-6, but I am unable to find a supplier. If someone has a link to one, PM me and I will add it here. Bulk sizes are readily available at mini-lab suppliers such as Photo Finishers Supplies, Inc. Instructions for use can be found on Kodak tech sheet Z-119.

What you need:

First Developer Replenisher #KOC8313611 to make 4 x 10L
    First Developer Starter #KOC1671577 to make 100L

Reversal Bath and Replenisher #KOC1123611 to make 4 x 10L

Color Developer Replenisher #KOC8372542 to make 5 gal.
    Color Developer Starter #KOC1858158 to make 25 gal.

Pre-Bleach and Replenisher #KOC1286228 to make 6 x 10L
    Bleach Replenisher #KOC1965623 to make 1 x 5L
    Bleach Starter #KOC1779792 to make 25 gal.

Fixer and Replenisher #KOC1545466 to make 3 x 10L

Final Rinse #KOC8140279 to make 12 x 10L

Trebla E-6 chemicals are available from Armadillo Photo Supply with the following quantities. The site lists some older package sizes no longer available, so I only listed the products still in production.

What you need are:

First Developer #20DE260 to make 6 x 10L
    First Dev. Starter #251-DE208S to make 1 x 25 gal.

Reversal Bath #20RV261 to make 12 x 5L
    Color Developer #20DE262 to make 3 x 10L
    Color Dev. Starter #251DE209S to make 1 x 25 gal.

Pre-Bleach #20CO263 to make 12 x 5L
    Bleach #20BL264 to make 6 x 2L
    Bleach Starter #251-BL210S to make 1 x 25 gal.

Fixer # 20FX265 to make 6 x 5L

Final Rinse #20ST266 to make 12 x 5L

I will post the information for Fuji-Hunt products if someone sends them to me. I will also include a link to dealers in other countries if you provide a link.

Available in Europe from Macro Direct is the Fuji Hunt 5 liter 3 bath kit.

RA-4

For home use the best all around developer is Kodak RA-4 RT chemicals. The easiest I have been able to find small quantities is Calumet Photo. Instructions for use can be found from Kodak tech sheet J-39.

What you need:

Developer Replenisher RT #8415580 to make 10L
    Bleach-Fix and Replenisher #8309031 to make 10L

Larger quantities can be bought from mini-lab suppliers in quantities up to 75 gallons it you are using large machines.

Maco Direct sells 1 liter Rollei RA kits, as well.
    Last edited by Greg Davis; 07-25-2011 at 01:34 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Update information
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had good success buying from Pakor.com. They will ship everything UPS. Hazmat applies in some cases.

SM is really designed for minilabs. There's MUCH cheaper/better alternatives in the Kodak lineup for home-processing C-41.

Here's what I usually order for C-41. (I use the 10L RA-RT as mentioned above for RA4):

# 444-0296 - KODAK FLEXICOLOR C41 FIXER AND REPLENISHER, 5 GALLONS, 4 PER CASE, KODAK#1693837 $6.66

# 444-0364 - KODAK FLEXICOLOR C41 DEVELOPER REPLENISHER, 5 GALLONS, 1 PER CASE, KODAK#1919042 $23.10

# 444-0375 - KODAK FLEXICOLOR C41 DEVELOPER STARTER, MAKES 17.75 GALLONS, 1 PER BOX, KODAK#1953009 $4.50

# 444-0401 - KODAK FLEXICOLOR C41 BLEACH, 5 GALLONS, 1 PER BOX, KODAK#1987924 $77.21

# 444-1044 - KODAK FLEXICOLOR C41 FINAL RINSE AND REPLENISHER, 75 GALLONS, 2 PER CASE, KODAK#8486268 $34.00

I re-use the bleach at least 2 or more times, using kodak bleach regenerator. The other chems I use one-shot. the C41 fix can be used for B&W paper and film fix, and is basically the cheapest fixer available anywhere.

-Ed

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    These look to be the LORR series of Kodak Flexicolor chemicals. This is what Photographer's Formulary uses to make small 1 liter kits. It works great but requires a developer starter and is sold in different quantities than the SM. I didn't get it because they weren't offering the 5 gallon bleach at the time. It does look cheaper, so I may replace what I use as I use up my stock of SM.
    Last edited by Greg Davis; 07-25-2011 at 12:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great list!

However some of the above options might not be feasible/economical for us Canadians who have to deal with border issues dealing with "hazardous" materials.

I recall someone posted that LL Lozeau (a photo store in Montreal) was stocking 2L Flexicolour kits. I don't know if they're just the bulk versions, or pre-mixed C41SM chems. Can someone verify this? I don't see it available on their website. Also a member mentioned awhile back that a warehouse in Mississauga stocked Kodak Chems (though I don't know in what quantities).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use armidillo, they stock the cheaper Trebla Chemistry, which is made in the same factory as Kodak and Fuji in the US from what I understand. Good stuff.

http://www.dillostore.com/index.asp?url=IND

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Moderators:

Sticky?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Good idea. This one can be a sticky.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by little-infinity View Post
    Great list!

However some of the above options might not be feasible/economical for us Canadians who have to deal with border issues dealing with "hazardous" materials.

I recall someone posted that LL Lozeau (a photo store in Montreal) was stocking 2L Flexicolour kits. I don't know if they're just the bulk versions, or pre-mixed C41SM chems. Can someone verify this? I don't see it available on their website. Also a member mentioned awhile back that a warehouse in Mississauga stocked Kodak Chems (though I don't know in what quantities).
    I think you are referring to Mike Wilde's post #22 about Unisource/Mondrian Hall in Mississauga in this thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/8...ip-method.html

Unisource has depots across the country.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by little-infinity View Post
    Great list!

If someone will verify this with a phone call and PM me the answer, I will add it to the main post. Until then, it will only remain a rumor, and I want to avoid posting rumors and keep it to verified information with active links or phone numbers.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two things for Canadians:

PhotoCentral.ca in Winnipeg stock and ship RA/RT RA4 chemistry in 10 liter sets.

MondiranHall/Unisource sell only the 4 kit cartons, so you are looking at buying 40 liters of dev or Blix.
    Bob

Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin