Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,664   Online: 928

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tetenal vs Digibase

Have just taken the plunge and bought 5 liters of digibase C41 chemistry. Have used tetenals products up to now. As their product has separate bleach and fix, can I expect a change in quality? If so, in what qualities?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Separate bleach and fix steps are recommended for film to insure proper bleaching of the developed silver, so your results should be equal to or better than the single step solutions.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    35mm
    There seems to be two schools of thought on this:

First School says that separate bleach fix is likely to give better negs and longer life to the negs with much less scope for problems to arise.

Second School says that blixed negs will be as good. I am not sure what the second school says about the relative merits of each longevity-wise.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've never used the Digibase, but the quality is definitely better (at least more consistent) with the Kodak C41 developer, the CPAC from Pakor bleach, and Kodak Fix over the Tetenal Blix. I think my earlier negatives were sometimes a bit muddier when using a Blix, but it could also be my imagination. But since I switch i haven't really experienced the issue again, so I'm staying away from Blix as long as I can.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently switched from Unicolor (which I've heard is identical to Tetenal) blix kits to the Rollei Digibase kit. I'm liking it so much better because I can mix up only as much volume as I need (I don't mean one-shot). If not used to exhaustion, the Unicolor developer would die on me after six weeks, and the same is true of the Digibase developer.

Also, blix is nasty, gassy, odorous stuff. The separate bleach and fix aren't nearly as bad!
    website | Flickr
    "Embrace the negative with absolution, your final positive reward." --IQ, "The Province," Frequency

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottrdaemmerung View Post
    I'm liking it so much better because I can mix up only as much volume as I need (I don't mean one-shot).
    I've been doing exactly that with Tetenal kits for years without problem. While their instructions don't mention or recommend against partial mixing, many here do it regularly.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I made the same switch a few months back and find the Digibase much, much better. Better contrast and more accurate developing...at least for me.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin