Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,736   Posts: 1,515,519   Online: 1115

Shooter
    35mm

1st time processing, newbie question

I received my Rollei Digibase C-41 kit a few days, and I shot a few test rolls of Fuji Superia 200 to try (and to practice) some different methods. I have not been processing before, so I lack a lot of knowledge.

I use a Paterson dev tank, and my first roll was developed at 37.8 deg C, using a water bath to keep the temperature. Next of was a roll at room temperature, which in this case was 25 deg C. I'm quite happy with the result, even though I think I should send a test roll to a pro lab to get a benchmark.

Then, I tried stand developing, mixing 5 ml devA, 5 ml devB, 5 ml devC, 0.5 ml starter with 275 ml water (the tank needs 290ml of working solution). Agitated the first minute and then let it stand for an hour, then following the ordinary process at 25 dec C. The result was interesting. My problem I have is that I don't know what's wrong with the photo. Is the film over- or underdeveloped?

The photos are direct from the scanner, without any post processing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 37_8degC.jpg   25degC.jpg   stand_dev.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hi -
    On the roll that you stand developed, what temp was the developer at when you started? Either way, Rollei doesnt reccomend stand development times at all. I believe you overdeveloped it. They do provide a development at 25 degrees C for 13 minutes with 1 agitation every 30 seconds. They also provide a develop at 20 degrees C for 21 minutes with 1 agitation every 30 seconds

Here is their guide that I use from Freestyle:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/pdf/pr...tionManual.pdf

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Color isn't the same as black-and-white. With black-and-white there is only one layer of emulsion to develop, so you can use the stand development technique. Color, on the other hand, has three. They each develop at a different rate unless they are processed for 3:15 minutes at 37.8ºC. At other temperatures, each layer will require a different development time to get good color. You cannot process each layer separately.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can you please let me know what works for you? I always wanted to process color myself but I never took the time to learn. This post helps!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What usually works the best, is following the directions in the chemical kit.
    Bob

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I agree with what Bob-D659 said.

I got my Rollei Digibase kit a few days ago, and I have followed the instructions exactly as Rollei stated and my images have been spectacular. I use the typical 100 degree F (38 degree C) for all (pre wash, dev, bleach, fix, stabilizer).

Note - I did add a 3:15 wash after the bleach and after the fixer. So I actually did "not follow the directions" but it was based on many other's recommendations (actually Greg Davis, who commented above, gave a great review below and he suggested adding those two washes: http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=1068462).

I suggest you read this whole thread re Rollei Digibase, from beginning to end...it really helped me understand the chemistry and its nuances:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum40/7...se-c-41-a.html

Wish you all wonderful C-41...
    Last edited by zsas; 07-30-2011 at 11:19 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    CSULB_Student , so far I'm most happy with the result from the test at 25 deg C, but I have only developed one roll of film this way. Mostly I find that the lower temperature gives me more time for the different steps, giving me more time to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

I'll keep trying with new rolls during the next few month. And I have to agree with the others here, following the instructions gives the best results, but not following them is more fun...
    Last edited by mblomq; 07-31-2011 at 07:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I tried stand developing just for the fun of it. Following the instructions is clearly the best way to go, if one wants good results. Being new with film processing, I think I can learn a few thing by not following the instructions, since by making things wrong, I at least know what not to do. I will try do lower the concentration of the chemicals in the working solution, in order to decrease the development of the film.

The temperatures on the developer was 30 deg C.

Thanks zsas for the links, interesting reading I must say. I'll try your method ad 38 deg C with added washing.

The next step is probably to turn the computer off, and go outside with my camera...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    For some reason Rollei omitted the two standard washing steps in C-41 processing. You should wash for 3:15 minutes after the bleach and again after the fixer. You can take the lid off the tank to wash after the bleach if it is easier to wash your film that way. By including these two wash steps, your image quality will improve. The first time I used this kit I did not wash because the instructions didn't include it, and my images were very yellow compared to the same image processed by a lab. After adding the wash steps, my film looked like the lab film.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin