Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,481   Posts: 1,571,145   Online: 1165

Shooter
    35mm

Color vs BW costs

I printed my last enlargement back in the 70's. Back then color prints used multiple chemicals and were for the brave and rich. So, I was surprised that it seems color papers and chemicals are now maybe cheaper than B/W .

Am I missing something?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Colour is quite a bit less expensive, but the departure of Kodak from the cut sheet market hasn't helped with availability.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Color(or is it Colour) is a less expensive, but I have found that B&W is easier to use.(At least to me).

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    I think that RA4 paper is now cheaper than B&W paper but B&W processing chemicals for both film and paper probably still have the edge but it's close

pentaxuser.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I started color printing back in 1984 color paper was cheaper then, than B&W. In fact, color paper hasn't changed that much in price since then. Then I could buy an 8x10 100 sheet box for $30-35 from a local camera store and the last box I bought less than a year ago from a local store was in the same price range. Haven't really paid as much attention to B&W paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    Color(or is it Colour) is a less expensive, but I have found that B&W is easier to use.(At least to me).

Jeff
    We have a different viewpoint. To me, color as easier. The processes are standardized. B&W is a lot more involved, with its many different developers, times, temperatures, dilutions, films, papers, contrast control, zone system, etc. Not as easy to learn and master.

RPC

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Color is (much) cheaper and easier.
    RA4 paper € 2,67 p/m²
    B&W FBWT € 19,69 p/m²
    B&W RC will be a little cheaper I have no price indication of that.

Color film is a bit more expensive.
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    35mm
    Here in the UK I think colour film is cheaper than B&W, at least if you avoid the 'pro' films and stick with 35mm. Colour printing is definitely cheaper than B&W and I'd agree that it's easier. Developing, however, is cheaper for B&W or at least can be cheaper (I use HC-110).
    Steve.

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am talking about sheetfilm.
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In the UK, I sheet B&W sheet film is a lot cheaper than colour, probably because all the cheap colour film like Superia or Gold, are not available in anything other than 35mm. A quick spot check on AG Photographic tells me 50 sheets of Fompan 100 in 4x5" is £26.90, 10 sheets of Ektar is £30.50. A big difference, and Ektar is the cheapest colour film I know of which is available in formats bigger than 120. I think in 35mm, the situation is reversed, and the cheapest colour film is well under £2, the cheapest B&W I think is only a little under £3.

Shooter
    35mm
    The OP says he/she shoots 35mm, hence if he/she chooses Superia or Gold, colour film is cheaper.
    Steve.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin