Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,063   Online: 834

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images

Printing colour with a BW enlarger

Is this possible, just using the multigrade filters, to make 'acceptable' colour prints from negatives with a BW enlarger?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are available color correction filters for condenser type enlargers. Beseler used to make them for their enlargers. To see what they look like check out eBay item #260826156229.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Interesting, thanks for that.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Or you can use Illfords Ilfochrome filters like i use and they work just fine
    Can still get them new or used
    John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last time I was there, www.photocentral.ca has some on their clearance table, email them for price and availability.
    Bob

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I used to use a B&W Fujimoto 4x5 enlarger with Ilfochrome colour filters to do my Ilfochrome prints. Never had a problem.
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Back in the day a "Color" enlarger just had a filter drawer. The complete filter sets should be available but may be hard to come by these days; dichroic heads were an expensive luxury! You certainly don't want to use B&W multigrade filters for color printing.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a set of Unicolour filters designed to fit in the tray of the enlarger. Also have a Unicolour colour print matrix which assists in determining the filters to use. (You place it on top of a sheet of paper and use a diffuser, supplied, to expose the paper through the filter matrix. After processing look for the grey segment and follow a chart to seee what filter adjustments are necessary. Anyway these are in Sydney, Aust and you are welcome to them for the cost of postage, The filters come in a metal box.Haven't been used or opened in 25 years. Just hope the dyes in the filters are stable.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Bear in mind that color papers are designed for tungsten illumination. If you have a cold light head on your enlarger, you'll have problems correcting for it.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started with colour this way. I 'rebought a filter set last year to remind me how it all used to be. Yes, the old unicolour matrix I have looks to be faded, but gets you going in the right direction.
    Kodak and beselar (I think) made similar things

A small calculator to figure the new exposure time when swapping out filters was the best tool, yet biggest pains with discrete filters. The Kodak print viewing filters had a cardborad insert that has the filter factors of 05 to 50 of each colour printed on it.

As other posts have noted, the print viewing filters are a very powerful tool when you are starting to learn how to print colour. A printed ring around is close to as useful, but Ai still likelt the viewing filters more.
    my real name, imagine that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin