Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,275   Online: 1041

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Kodak Ektar 100 and where to get processed?

Okay, I am shaking a few things up here by trying out a pro-pack of the Kodak Ektar 100 color neg film in 120.... As I'm normally a B&W shooter only, I've not done color work for absolutely ages.. Likely over 10 years! I've been kindly asked by my wife to make some color shots of our eldest son for his senior year school year book (NO PRESSURE THERE!) I cannot remember the last color neg film I tried. At any rate, where is a good place to get this film processed? With so many places shutting their color lines down, and with this being medium format, my options have dwindled significantly. For now, I am just wanting the film developed, and will scan it myself for sending in files and will likely have those digital files printed later.

Also, how are people rating this film? At box speed, or otherwise?? Is there anything finnicky about this film that I am not aware of? Special filters needed to adjust color temp etc??

I've searched a few threads that show this film has some color casts in home C-41 kits, and some people are not too happy with it overall. So just needed to know what I can expect...

Thanks!

Andy
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It has a unique color palette, and I rate it at 100. I have used home kits without any problems, but if you want a pro lab, try Dale Laboratories in Hollywood, FL. They do a great job and take film from all over.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is great film for scenics and outdoor use, with strong color saturation. But for people shots Portra 160 might be a better choice with it more normal saturation, for more realistic skin tones. But it you are scanning it maybe you can adjust.

I have made a prints in my darkroom with Ektar and have had no color problems as yet.

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ektar might be a little punchy and saturated for portraits, nonetheless, i'd suggest Richard Photo Lab in LA. It takes about 3 weeks, but supposedly they're the best on the west coast.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'd shoot it about 1/2 to full stop slower than box speed (over expose). Any time I rated it at or above box speed, I found I got a cyan/magenta cast I couldn't get rid of. Slightly over exposing did the trick for me.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I shoot it at box speed. Precision Camera or North Coast Photo (NCPS) both do a good job processing and will give you a decent price on scans. If you choose Precision, go to Rangefinderforum and find the ad on that site on the left of the screen.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ektar is just a bit too colourful for such an occasion I have to say.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've shot Ektar in everything from 35mm to 8X10. Right now I'm printing 4x5 and 8X10 sheets onto CAII
    20X24 and getting superb results. The problem with blue is easily corrected, but ideally should be done at the time of the shot. If significant, it's hard to correct afterwards. Rather than shooting at a lower ASA to get enough density to the layer, simply use the appropriate warming filter per a color temp meter reading or comparable experience. I carry and 81A and 81C. Then shoot at box speed (100) with the appropriate filter correction,of course. I have my C-41 dev by Lightwaves in SF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Call West Photo and National Camera Exchange (the downtown pro store, not a suburban branch) and ask to speak with their pro reps. Ask the rep who's doing the best C-41 in town that still does 120 and 4x5. They should know because they'd still be selling any 120 that pros are shooting and have some idea about labs. I'd go in town before shipping halfway across the country. Mpls - St. Paul should still have enough going to have at least one good lab doing C-41, although runs may be spaced out a few days. (National put a huge 3-4 mm wide scar across the C-41 4x5 negative of my brother's wedding photo (1981 or so) that went across his face and his bride's, so don't use their in-house lab if they still have one.)

If you don't get anything from West or National, shoot me a PM and I'll put you in touch with some local commercial studios that might have an ear to the ground.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I take mine to Universal Color, Inc. in New Hope, MN. (www.universalcolor.com). I believe that they do all of National Camera's processing now.
    Reid

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rjbuzzclick/

"If I had a nickel for every time I had to replace a camera battery, I'd be able to get the #@%&$ battery cover off!" -Me

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin