Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,919   Online: 792

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

"Best" color film

I say best in quotation marks because I realize that sometimes the "Best" one is the one you know and use the most. Anyways I have been using Kodak Porta 400 for a bit and I like the look of it but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to anything that might be considered THEE standard color film? And yes I am very new to photography so be easy!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well, we get these questions about every week. What you really need to be asking is what color film is "best" for your application. Portra is probably the standard for people work, Ektar maybe for more landscape negative color film, Velvia for landscape slide, and Provia for people slide. These are just guesses, but really we'd need to know what your intentions are before even offering an opinion on the "best".

Just my $.02
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jamie,

Once again another open ended question. What you will get is 100 posts and 100 opinions. What do you consider to be features for consideration. Format, speed. color balance, ...
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    well im shooting some friends that ride bmx and skate so I guess people would be my application.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Marin View Post
    I say best in quotation marks because I realize that sometimes the "Best" one is the one you know and use the most. Anyways I have been using Kodak Porta 400 for a bit and I like the look of it but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to anything that might be considered THEE standard color film? And yes I am very new to photography so be easy!
    For "standard" I don' think you can beat Fuji Reala. It lives up to it's name; it is very accurate. It's color rendition reminds me of a color neg version of T64, for lack of a better comparison.

This being said, I think Kodak's Portra films are absolutely beautiful in the character they impart to images.

But if I had to reproduce a product, or anything else, exactly as it appears (which is how I would define "standard"), I would shoot Reala, hands down. It produces the most true to life images of any color neg film IMO. That does not mean "best," though. Just best for that particular purpose.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like 400 speed film for almost all of my shots these days. It's fast enough to capture whatever action you shoot, works well day and night. And I really like the new Portra. So I think you've already got the best
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Color neg - Portra for anything except where more saturated frankly exaggerated color is wanted, in which case try Ektar.

Color slide/transparency - E100G for full but not neutral or exaggerated color, E100VS or Velvia (just try 'em both, or all several including the Velvia variants, and see what you prefer. I prefer E100VS as being quite a bit less quirky and unpredictable but it's no longer available in 4x5 it seems except from folks who still have some.)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime Marin View Post
    well im shooting some friends that ride bmx and skate so I guess people would be my application.
    Ektar sounds better for that type of thing, unless you need the extra speed of Portra 400 or 800.

Reasoning; within the context of your subject, stronger colour would be preferred by most people as it would add value to the image, where as neutral colour may look the whole act look more mundane.
    Last edited by Athiril; 08-04-2011 at 06:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As an all round general purpose colour neg film I like Fuji Reala.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are shooting some friends who ride BMX and skates then I guess you're not really after that much of a skin perfection but wacky colours to bring out the bikes/clothes/skateboards. If you can deal with ISO 50/100 you might as well shoot some Velvia or E100VS. Or Ektar. Fuji 400H is also quite contrasty and a bit more edgy than Portra 400. I don't paricularly like it (the Fuji) but others do.

In the end, best is what you've decided suits you after you tried them all. If there was THE best film there would be nothing else.
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin