Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,563   Posts: 1,573,353   Online: 1034

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Memories Film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks good, whatever it is. Superia looks good IMHO. For color, I have shot more Superia 800 and 400 than any other film. I have shot plenty of the 100 as well, but the 200 only a handful of times. Superia has never disappointed me when used for a suitable purpose. If you want the finest grain, the Pro films seem a bit better. But Pro 800Z is gone, is it not? So I don't think we even have the choice any more. I would actually argue, based on my own printing, that the Superia line has more realistic color than the Pro line. But most people don't want realism. They want a departure from it, which is why I think many prefer the Pro films.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you scanning any of your Superia negs? Cuz it's when I get into scanning that I really notice the grain -- or lack thereof.

Hrm . . . I decided that, before I malign Superia 400 any further, that I'd take a closer look at some of the negatives I shot. Welp, as it turns out, those that had a fair amount of overcast or shade in them showed quite a bit more grain than those that were taken in strong sun. I suppose I've been holding this impression in my head because I've only shot a couple of rolls of the Superia 400 and most of the photos were taken in overcast or darker conditions. So, based on revisiting my images I guess I need to revise my opinions toward Superia 400 somewhat. The well-lit photos look good. Still, it has more grain than Memories, especially more chrominance grain.

Shooter
    127 Format
    All the Fuji-made color film I have used has those colored stripes on one edge. If your Memories film has those stripes I would bet good money it's made by Fujifilm.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, colored stripes -- along the top of the film strip there is a continuous green stripe, and red stripes above and below it periodically. Are these what you're referring to? I noticed something else when I was examining the Memories film -- well the container, actually. The container it comes in is identical to the container that my Fuji Superia 400 came in. Same characteristic Fuji shape. Translucent like all Fuji containers that are commonly seen. It's the same even down to the recycling symbol and alpha-numeric codes that are imprinted into the cap and the container itself. Also, Fuji C-41 film is the only film I know of that lists its own developing process -- C-16 -- on its canisters, and lists it before the C-41 process. Memories is the same. So I'd say the preponderance of evidence allows me to conclude that Memories is indeed Fuji film. Now, what type, that I don't know. Probably Superia 200.

BTW, just thought I'd mention: I went down to the 99 Cent store again today and bought 10 more rolls. Found one that had expired in May but all the others I saw expire in October and had only two different lot numbers. I bought some of each lot just to see if it might make a difference.
    Last edited by cooltouch; 08-09-2011 at 02:47 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cooltouch View Post
    Okay, colored stripes -- along the top of the film strip there is a continuous green stripe, and red stripes above and below it periodically.
    Yup, Fuji film has those stripes. And the cartridge is also a good clue.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    127 Format
    Most likely just common Fujicolor 200. Here we buy it as Walgreen's 200 or CVS 200. It's great stuff.

At that price I need to visit the 99 Cents store...
    - Bill Lynch

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although the memories film you have appears to be Fuji, Mitsubishi is selling a 200 ISO color film, I dont know if this film is made in Japan or not. A couple of years the 99 cent store in my area sold Samsum film 36 exps in both 200 and 400, packed in Mexico, made in China. If you live near a mini lab with an older printers, some of the older printers read the code on the edge to set the proper channel for the make of the film.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin