Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,841   Online: 1007

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Memories Film?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Memories Film?

Just curious if anyone here has used Memories film. I found it at a local 99 Cent Only store. C-41, 24 exposure, ISO 200, made in Japan. I just ran a roll through one of my cameras and was rather surprised by the results. Overall quality was quite good with fine grain and even colors, except for a reddish-brown cast to the positive image. It was somewhat short dated -- 10/2011 -- but I don't think that was the reason for the color shift. I suspect the film may have been stored somewhere hot for a while. Still in post processing, I was able to get rid of the brownish-red cast.

Honestly, I like this film well enough where I'm gonna go back to the 99 cent store and stock up on more of it. I really like the film's tight grain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps it is Fuji Superia 200. Being made in Japan, I would not be surprised. Are there any Japanese film manufacturers in addition to Fujifilm?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know of any. I was also thinking it might be Fuji Superia 200. I've used the Superia 400 and really didn't care for it. This stuff is much better than the S-400.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Fuji made a huge range of store/private brands, usually based on the Superia line. Once these were the next newest emulsion behind current Fuji branded film, but this ended around a decade ago when sales began to slip and Fuji curtailed extensive R&D on consumer emulsions. Colour cast could be poor storage since I'm still shooting always 'fridged Superia that's up to 5-6 years old with no issues.

Check the neg edge code: should be "S-200" if it's recent Superia. If not, then who knows?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Mitsubishi and Konishiroku plants may still be operational and they both made color film. Oriental also made film in lower quantity and may still exist.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Doesn't really look like superia to me. In my experience superia has been ultra contrasty with nuclear vibrant greens. Personally, I don't like superia, I think it's absolutely terrible film with too much contrast and gawdy color. I hate it to the point where unless I absolutely positively have to, i'd rather not shoot pictures at all than use that crap. That's how bad my experience with it has been.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    Doesn't really look like superia to me. In my experience superia has been ultra contrasty with nuclear vibrant greens. Personally, I don't like superia, I think it's absolutely terrible film with too much contrast and gawdy color. I hate it to the point where unless I absolutely positively have to, i'd rather not shoot pictures at all than use that crap. That's how bad my experience with it has been.
    So you don't like it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    Must all color film have the same color saturation and color balance? Absolutely not, people have different tastes and needs. No one is twisting your arm to use it. A simple post stating that Superia has too much contrast and gawdy colors for your taste would have been sufficient. Saying you hate it and calling it crap is rather childish isn't it?
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post

Check the neg edge code: should be "S-200" if it's recent Superia. If not, then who knows?
    The edge code is 200N. Does that help at all?

Hey I don't really care who's making it. I just hope they continue to do so. It ain't bad stuff.

The only Superia I've knowingly used has been 400, and I really didn't like it because the grain was so course. I can understand the comment about the nuclear vibrant greens, but that can always be toned down in the software nowadays, and in some instances the super saturated greens worked well. Just didn't care for the grain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Must all color film have the same color saturation and color balance? Absolutely not, people have different tastes and needs. No one is twisting your arm to use it. A simple post stating that Superia has too much contrast and gawdy colors for your taste would have been sufficient. Saying you hate it and calling it crap is rather childish isn't it?
    I guess, but am I not entitled to an opinion?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin