Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,990   Online: 1045

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have found that the Ektar base is more pink in color than other films, which seem more orange.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    35mm
    If one goes directly from the developer into the bleach (also minilabs do this), the film mask may come out a little darker. This is because the colour developer reacts with the bleach (don't ask me for details; i guess the developer is oxidised by the bleach and then reacts with the dye couplers to form dyes). A stop bath after development (wash only would prolong development and cause streaks) omits the effect by removing the developer first and leads to a clearer base, which usually looks more "pinkish" (compared to the otherwise "brownish" results).

Georg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    You may be thinking of the older C-22 films which were very hard to evaluate until they were dry. In C-22 emulsions the dye couplers were contained in microscopic resin beads. This prevented the couplers from migrating during development. Agfa used a different system where the couplers had long side chains to prevent migration. Sort of like a boat dragging an anchor. When exposed to water the beads become opaque. With C-41 films Kodak adopted the Agfa method which does not have the milkiness problem.
    Kodak did NOT adopt the Agfa method. Agfa adopted the Kodak method!!!

C-41 films are still pinker and slightly translucent than they are when dry. They are similar to C-22 films in this regard.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    C-41 films are still pinker and slightly translucent than they are when dry.

PE
    I think "slightly" is the keyword hear.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

jbl
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    It looks like I did mess up the processing. The scans from the negatives are very cyan, I have to pump the WB to 50,000k and skew the tint way towards the magenta range in order to get the colors to look remotely normal. The grain looks okay in comparison to what I've seen before. Is there any way to tell if it's over agitation or too-warm developer?

-jbl

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The developer, ideally, should be used at 100°F (37.8°C) to get proper color. Is this the temperature you used? Is your thermometer accurate? Over agitation would produce slightly too contrasty negatives, not strong color cast. Did you mix the developer with distilled water? Impurities in tap water could cause problems, but perhaps not this severe. Are you using the proper settings in your scanner? The film may be fine and you were only correcting a bad scan.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

jbl
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    I checked my thermometers before developing and calibrated everything. I waited until the developer hit 100 before I started, but I think my water bath may have been around 102. I'll recheck my thermometers and try again with the next test roll and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help!

-jbl

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Did you use a water rinse between the bleach and fix steps, and again after the fix? When I first used the Rollei kit I followed their directions which didn't include these rinses, and got awful color crossover.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

jbl
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    I did a ~3 minute wash after bleach and after the fix. On each wash, I filled the tank with tempered water, agitated for 15 seconds, then a few times at each minute, dumping the water once around half way through. I wasn't quite sure on the wash procedure for this, so I just guessed.

I bleached for 4 minutes which is on the high end of what the Rollei instructions say (though the Kodak instructions say 6.5 minutes). I fixed for 5 minutes.

-jbl

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Bleach and fix for 6.5 minutes just to be sure. Over doing it can't hurt, but standard C-41 is 6.5 minutes.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin