Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,692   Posts: 1,548,949   Online: 816

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Fuji film is Superia 200, I buy several 4 roll boxes at once to make sure I have some on hand(my daughters are always using it). It is a very nice film with good tonal range and not grainy. The colors are not super-saturated but can be strong if exposed properlt. I find it leans toward the cooler colors of the spectrum(prefer).

I am fortunate that my daughter does most of the film developing at our local Rite Aid and is very careful with film and keeps the processor clean, our prints are mostly vg-excel quality.

BTW, welcome to Apug land, and back to film.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome back to film !!! A couple of things:
    The white spots are caused by low film volumes on the minilabs, causing the chemicals to go bad, filters to gunk up, etc. Fuji Europe has an excellent paper on this issue, and they have developed modified chems to deal with it. But I assume it is more expensive, few use it. Your best bet is to find a local place that still gets good volumes and keeps there machines and chems clean and fresh. I am lucky to have a local Costco that still gets lots of film - almost all 1 time use cameras. Prices and quality fantastic $1.50 a roll for negs developed, no prints. They did say though that when there machine breaks, its history. That leaves sendout service. Fuji has print film mailers thru BH Photo. Check it out. Goes to Dwaynes Photo of Kodachrome fame. Superb quality.
    But for max film bang, you should shoot a few rolls of slide film, and drop off at the Walmart sendout kiosk. 7 bucks and back in about 10 days. They use Fuji Labs, and it all goes to Dwaynes. Perfect quality, unlike what you will ever see now with neg film, realistically. Slides scan MUCH sharper, smoother, with better colors and resolution than negative film. Try 1 roll and you will see, and be wowed by the magic of film once again (sonething that has eluded you so far with neg film given the low volume problems at almost every lab today).

Shooter
    35mm
    Oh yes, if you like that Maxxum 9, try a 7. It is a legendary camera among Minolta users (like you and I), and was the most advanced film camera ever made, except maybe, maybe the Nikon F6 which came out a decade later. For 150 at keh.com, you can pick up a mint one. Lightning fast autofocus, even more evolved than on the 9, a large LCD panel on the back that reads out things like depth of field at given aperature, a graphical histogram showing stops over/under metered exposure for each segment of the 16 sector meter, marking areas that will blow out with a + symbol, mid roll film change, full EXIF data on the last 7 rolls, that can be saved to a memory card, and on and on.... it is a wonder and joy to use, and much more advanced than the 9.
    Oh ya, forgot to mention it had the industries first built in wireless flash controller, to control off camera flashes (think the 9 may have this too)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome back to film. I still have my Maxxum 9000 and X700 times 2 and the Autowinder 90 and MD1 Motor Drive. The 200 speed film at Walmart is probably a good general purpose film at a good price. B&H, Adorama and Freestyle also has many films at good prices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin