Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,050   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rollei Crossbird and E-6

Hi,

after some time spent on Internet investigation I am still not sure what is purpose of Crossbird. I understand that processing the film in C-41 will give some "unexpected" effects (in general green dominated colors with proper skin color) but what is going to happen when processing Crossbird as E-6? Should I receive good positive slides?

I have one roll of Crossbird with important shots. What I want is to have pictures as good as possible - rather real then dominated by effects. Should I develop it in E-6 instead of "recommended" C-41?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd probably develop E6 then. Cross processing can be grainy, and exposure can be iffy. I enjoy cross processed effects, but if you just want photos without the effects, process E6. Maybe try to find out what film this actually is, it's probably something like Elite Chrome, Agfa Precisa, or another cheap(ish) slide film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by thegman View Post
    Maybe try to find out what film this actually is, it's probably something like Elite Chrome, Agfa Precisa, or another cheap(ish) slide film.
    I was trying hard - no information ... especially for manufacturer
    regards

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Should not matter too much, assuming you exposed it at box speed, you should just be able to get regular E6 processing and get good results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember looking at this wierd film while in freestyle. I had never seen Rollei's retro line of films bafore encountering it that day a month ago.

You may want to shoot a less important roll and proces it as E6 first to see how it reacts.

I seem to recall thinking that some of them may have been e-6 emulsion coated onto a c-41 base to make it easier to print as ra-4.
    my real name, imagine that.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    AFAIK this is Agfa Avi Chrome 200 (which is the Agfa RSX200 emulsion on polyester) labeled as C41.
    http://www.macodirect.de/rollei-cros...005da1fa48449b
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    While I've never done crossprocessing, I thought one was meant to expose different to the box-speed-for-E6. However on googling it, I find recommendations both for underexposure and for overexposure and neither with much credibility or evidence to back them up; the recommendations are probably film-specific since there are such film-specific changes in hue and contrast. So while Crossbird will be marked with a particular box speed that will give good results in C41, that may or may not be a good exposure if you want to soup it in E-6.

I think that you will need to shoot a test roll first to see what exposures work for you with that particular film. And of course, you have to hope like hell that your two rolls of Crossbird aren't different emulsions as I get the impression that they just repackage any old cheap E-6 film they can get their hands on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    AFAIK this is Agfa Avi Chrome 200 (which is the Agfa RSX200 emulsion on polyester) labeled as C41.
    Agva Aviphot Chrome 200 was regular E-6 film and MACO PHOTO distributed it as ROLLEI DIGIBASE CR 200 PRO.. Should I assume that Crossbird is just the same as Digibase CR 200 with label ... also for C-41? Frankly speaking I want to develop my particular Crossbird roll and forget about "creative" ideas from Rollei. What I want is to have best possible real results
    regards

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Lynx View Post
    Should I assume that Crossbird is just the same as Digibase CR 200 with label ... also for C-41?
    That's my understanding. The only reason for the C41 on the can seems to be to get the film developed as C41 (i.e. crossed) in labs that do not know what crossing is.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    Agva Aviphot Chrome 200 was regular E-6 film and MACO PHOTO distributed it as ROLLEI DIGIBASE CR 200 PRO.. Should I assume that Crossbird is just the same as Digibase CR 200 with label ... also for C-41?
    Yes, it is exactly so.
    Rollei Crossbird = Rollei Digibase CR200 = Agfa Aviphot Chrome 200 = old Agfa RSX II 200 emulsion
    I have used the films and they are the same.

Frankly speaking I want to develop my particular Crossbird roll and forget about "creative" ideas from Rollei. What I want is to have best possible real results
    Then forget this film and use instead Fuji Provia 400X:
    Provia 400X has much better colors (very natural and accurate, whereas the Rollei has a significant yellow cast),
    much much finer grain (the Rollei film is the most grainy slide film on the market),
    much higher resolution and much better sharpness.
    And the Fuji is much more versatile: Double speed, and even excellent pushed to 800 and 1600.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin