Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,054   Posts: 1,561,291   Online: 1204

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

With Astia gone in 35mm, E100G?

I am not all that excited about the high contrast look of Provia on sunny days. With Astia gone in this format is E100G the closest I can get to this look? I like Astia's ability to hold at least some shadow and highlight detail on sunny day shots; but I am down to nine rolls. I need to order more film. Any suggestions besides E100G. Is EPP dead and gone too?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably. I only got to shoot one roll of 35mm Astia. I've been shooting a fair amount of E100G and I really like it, maybe more than Astia but I didn't really get to do a fair evaluation of that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I always considered that Astia 100F,Sensia 100,Agfa Precisa 100 and Ektachrome 100G/Elitechrome 100 to be the best options for a lower contrast slide film

Shooter
    35mm
    Besides hoarding what is left of Astia 135 (there are rolls on market with expiry date 02/2012) I would try Fujichrome Sensia, as it is supposed to have a response similar to Astia. That is rumoured to be out of production as well, but, just like with Astia and probably more, one can hoard and refrigerate them while they last.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes Fujichrome Sensia has ceased production, but still available while stocks last. If you can't find anymore Astia 100F/Sensia 100 to freeze and hoard, then Agfa Precisa is rumoured to be Sensia repackaged. The two Kodak offerings are still in production,and i hope all the other transparency films remain that way for many years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably a decent choice. E100G has a harder look and is more blue than Astia, but is usually quite acceptable. Grain is about the same - extremely fine. Astia was a fine film; I'm sorry to see it go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fuji Provia 100F is about as close as you can get now.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are willing to go medium/large format, Astia is still available....

http://www.macodirect.de/fujifilm-fu...7_418_497.html
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With the idea that a picture is worth a thousand words, here are a few shots on 35mm E100G. The building is the contrastiest scene I could find among my E100G photos. It has detail from the shadowed trees to the brightest highlights. The portrait is my fiance who has red/auburn hair and complexion to match.

I threw in the close up of the flower as a "punchy color photo." Not E100VS or Velvia, but for sunny days I prefer this sort of rendition. In dull or overcast lighting I might prefer something more saturated for subject matter like this.

Both these are from Kodak Photo CD, nothing special, and no manipulation done other than shrinking the resolution.

It CAN look blue in open shade. So can any film as open shade IS blue. Our eyes compensate for it, and we print it out from negatives, and can just as easily print it out of transparencies if we make Ilfochrome or inkjet prints, but don't seem to accept it as readily when we see it on the positive original.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jekyll_Island_2_LowRes.jpg   Alicia1_LowRes.jpg   Jekyll_Island_1_LowRes.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Roger and everybody else:

Thanks. I did order 10 rolls of E100G and am going to give it a shot, or rather 360 shots :-)

Provia was just too contrasty for me. If I exposed for the highlights the shadows blocked up. Astia didn't do this; but it's gone. The first and third photos here are very typical of the kind of lighting I get on my train photography. So, thanks to you I am sold!

~Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin