Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,112   Online: 950

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    John, one of the advantages of home developing is the quick turn-around -- I am reluctant to "batch process" the film.

My experience with E6 is that the concentrates last a fairly long time if you use the chemicals one-shot (mixing before use), as recommended by Kodak with its 5 liter kit (I have 7 of them). I started on my first Kodak kit more than a year ago and the results are still good -- the developer, after being mixed, has the light brown color indicative of good solutions. I have heard lots of anecdotal evidence that the C41 chemicals also have fairly good longevity after being mixed. Certainly, my RA4 (Kodak) chems have lasted more than a month after being mixed with little obvious deterioration.

wn
    Last edited by warrennn; 08-22-2011 at 05:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    C41 flexicolor developer will oxidize in most tanks/jugs after 4-8 weeks, such that it turns very dark color. That's the only solution of the 4 that has a bad tendency to oxidize. The others keep fine (fix, stabilizer, bleach). RA-4 (RA RT) keeps exceedingly well once mixed. even with no special treatment I have a batch of 10L that has done fine for close to a year. C-41 flexicolor developer is much less stable than that, as noted above (And in Z-131 they mention this too).

The flexicolor concentrates keep well, though. Even in opened bottles, as long as they are topped up with argon/nitrogen or some other inert gas, the concetrates for developer seem to last fine, several months at least.

I started out using liquid tetenal 5L blix C41 kit, back when B&H still sold it. It was ok - not bad. I did find the separate bleach/fix flexicolor gave better results overall though. And its much cheaper per roll than any other product.

-Ed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ed, from your previous post, you must use 100 ml of developer per roll of film (48 rolls/5 l --> ~10 rolls/l-->100 ml/roll for one-shot). Does your automated processor use that little per roll? My tanks require about 500 ml per roll and the economics would be not very good if I used it one-shot. Of course, replenishing changes things.

wn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Flexicolor turns dark with usage too, I've continued replenishment much longer than 8 weeks in a glass bottle, there's no decrease of activity with semi-regular usage and replenishment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Warrenn

Yes, phototherm ssk uses 60ml per run and 105 ml per roll, so for 4 rolls ( 1 run), it uses 480ml. I use it One shot as i want the best consistency, but I could do replenishment if needed. But overall the cost of the dev is not bad. I think the flexicolor developer to make 5 gallons, is only $23 or so, which works out to about 12 cents (!) per roll for one shot developer cost.

Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    I'm doing some right now and made up 1.25 liters of developer to do 27 rolls with a tank that needs 570 ml.
    Seriously, you get 27 rolls from 1.25 L? I am trying out the Photographer's Formular Flexicolor kit in the next week or two and it's 1 L. I'd be pleased as punch if I could get 20 rolls, mostly 120, out of it.
    Last edited by Tony-S; 08-24-2012 at 03:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hpulley View Post
    Kodak doesn't make it easy for us to buy Flexicolor! I can't get it anywhere in Canada or shipped to Canada so I'm stuck with Tetenal/JOBO blix kits but they seem to work fine for me too. I get 25 rolls per litre (non-replenished) before it dies on me after weeks or even months of use.
    Where are you getting the Tetenal kits from?????
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin