Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,504   Online: 1259

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10x8 colour

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yea, I think Februaury is "high season." It is the best time to come, weather is usually good and the roads and accomadation spots are generally some what less crowded. Not that our roads get that crowded outside of Auckland, ask John, Sean.
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David, did you try Panavision in Freeman's Bay, Auckland?
    Not sure if JandC have colour 8x10 but, badgergraphic.com sell Kodak EPP by the single box of 50.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, no havent tried Panavision, do they stock other than movie film?

I think I am going to have to get the film via the states, which I have done before, was hopeing to support the local economy......

Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    David, did you try Panavision in Freeman's Bay, Auckland?
    Not sure if JandC have colour 8x10 but, badgergraphic.com sell Kodak EPP by the single box of 50.
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've not actually used Panavision David, but I've been led to believe they stock professional Fuji films for distribution and sales to professionals. I normally buy frm the States. But PV could be worth a try if you're are in a hurry.
    best, John

Portra 400 nc is nice in 8x10 and the extra speed comes in pretty handy especially if you ever do portraits with available light.

It works best around EI 200-250.

I live in Melbourne, Australia & get it in from B&H this takes about 3 days with UPS global express Total cost with postage for 10 sheets is about $150AUD.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Fuji NPS is in my experience a very good film for landscape and portraits if you like "real" colors. Most of the transparency films will give "push up" rendition of colors and the corrections you could do will be after scanning. If you work with a good laboratory you can work on the contacts giving your taste in the filtration of colors. Rate NPS at 100 iso. Hope this helps.
    Daniele

Quote Originally Posted by livemoa
    OK, I have a project in mind that means I might just sucumb to the garish charms of colour..... This is after saying I would never shot colour again....

I want to do this on 10x8, will do some experiments in 5x4 first but any suggestions for a rich but not to over the top colour film (neg or tranny)?
    How do you plan on making the final prints? This will have a great affect on which film will be most successful.

I shoot a lot of 4x5 Provia because it comes in ready loads. I also shoot a lot of Portra. Transparency films are hardly neutral in color. They ALL have a color bias of some type. The trick is finding the one that has a color bias YOU like.

Negative films are far better for true color rendition. The Portra films are some of the best films going. Although really meant for portrait work with flash, I do shoot them outdoors with great success. For a mix of daylight & strobe Portra 160 would be hard to beat.

Provia accentuates blues & greens in any scene. Not garish like Velvia but hardly neutral or accurate. This would be especially true with sky light coming through a window as fill. I shoot Provia with an 81A filter to tame the blue/green bias. If you try Provia, I would suggest testing it with an 81A filter.

Also, Provia is a bit like shooting Kodachrome. You have to be right on the money with the exposure. Shadows will block quickly on under exposure and highlights blow out with just a bit of over exposure. A rather difficult film to shoot. Look at the characteristic curve and you will see a very sharp toe & shoulder. That's why the grey scale compresses suddenly.

Kodak E100G is a very nice film. Much longer scale than Provia and with a warmer rendering. I'd certainly consider that as a real contender for transparency film. I like it. I have 120 pro-packs in my camera case right now. Compare the characteristic curve of this film to Provia and you will see a huge difference in the toe & shoulder. Long, very gradual roll off so the grey scale compresses gradually.

Kodak EPN Ektachrome 100 Professional colors seem muted and mushy to me -some people say "soft" and "delicate."

Kodak EPR 64 is one of the all time "classic" transparency films - it just has that slight Ektachrome blue "tinge" (I can see it - other people don't). Not one of my favorites but about 1 zillion catalog photos and architectural photos have been take with it. Pretty forgiving on exposure.

I'd test the contenders in roll film first for color rendition before even buying 4x5.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steve
    Transparency films are hardly neutral in color. They ALL have a color bias of some type. The trick is finding the one that has a color bias YOU like.
    How about Fuji Sensia? I shoot primarily in Velvia F100, but have heard Sensia is fairly neutral.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    How about Fuji Sensia? I shoot primarily in Velvia F100, but have heard Sensia is fairly neutral.
    Sensia only comes in 35mm. I rarely shoot 35mm so I don't use Sensia. The original question was about 8x10-inch sheet films. All of the films I discussed are available in 8x10.

By far my favourite film is Astia and/or Astia 100F

in many circumstances, much more like a neg film that's actually a transparency film - if you see what I mean. More shadow and highlight detail than most other tranny films I've ever used. More subtle colours than Provia (which has to be the ugliest film out there), but not the "washed" out look I get from the E100 films. Available in 10 and 50 sheet boxes for 8x10 I think

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin