Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,966   Posts: 1,558,413   Online: 898

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^I'm with Nick on that.^ It's a very nice film at a very nice price.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I've shot surfers with Velvia 100 while vacationing, mostly at Huntington and San Diego, and it turned out pretty well, but not really well enough. Next time I will be switching from Velvia to Ektar or Portra because they are just so much easier to use - it has much to do with my own lack of skill.

From shore in the Ventura/SB area you will be looking south so late afternoon will give you nice side light. Like you say, morning is dodgy all along the coast. If you get down to anywhere that the coast line has turned south, late afternoon is pretty tough because of the shadows. I never have been able to get any facial detail. I guess I need to get up in the morning.

The Santa Barbara breakwater is a fabulous place to shoot, with the action happening within 15 yards or so. Take advantage of the late afternoon light. But watch out, it's likely you, and more importantly, your gear, will get wet.
    I would use Fuji Provia 100F or Fuji Velvia 100F

P.S. The O.Ps question was about slide film, I presume he wants to project them.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 08-22-2011 at 05:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    provia 100F for sunny days, FP4+ or HP5 for the overcast ones; both of which can be made into slides by Dr5 (to keep my answer relevant)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I would use Fuji Provia 100F or Fuji Velvia 100F

P.S. The O.Ps question was about slide film, I presume he wants to project them.
    It also included this sentence:

Or- please be honest- am I crazy to want to shoot slide film down here, and should I relent and somehow learn to love a color neg film like Ektar or the new Portra 160?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for all the tips, guys! I am really itching to get out there shooting again. I will take a look at that other Kodak film you recommended for the better price. I don't mean to sound cheap, but right now, well, that's where I'm at. Provia - I just don't know, I always liked the Velvia 100 (not F) better back home, and thought that Provia was more "colder" colors. But, looking at it, maybe E100G is the same problem then, because I was shooting the E100GX back then. Why did they drop the GX version and not the other way around? hehe....

I don't mind the recommendation for neg films - Ektar is a nice film from what I can see - I very well may have to switch to neg film if I can't get the contrast tamed in the slides. It is just that I love the way slides look. Something very cool about them. And, now that I don't have a darkroom, I'll be scanning to print anyway at some point...may as well use slides since I like them, right? At least that is my reasoning at this point. Is it faulty logic?

Lastly, about the home developing - didn't realize it was so easy. Always thought I'd need a Jobo or something, but that looks fairly simple, as long as I could waste a roll or two figuring it out. With the way lab prices are, it just might be the ticket to let me keep shooting slides and not have to go neg only or 100% digi...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd recommend using E100G with a polarizing filter (if its high noon) or sticking with fuji. I prefer the tones brought out in the water when I shoot with fuji. Try driving south on the 1, once you get south of the venture county line there's alot of spots to turn off the highway and photograph perched up on some rocks. I also love cross processing surf shots!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Alex, thanks for the tips on where to shoot. Not having done much down here yet, I appreciate it. When you say Fuji has good water colors, do you mean Velvia or Provia? If I am understanding correctly, E100G is going to be like Provia, more cool in color temp, right? I sure liked the GX version back in Alaska.

At this point I'm thinking I should just purchase 2 rolls of Velvia 100 and see if it works for me down here. If it does, then great; if not, back to the drawing board. Or, that cheaper Kodak one sounded interesting, of course...but probably pretty different than Velvia 100. Does that sound like a reasonable approach?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, I was just looking real close at a roll of Ektar my wife shot through a friend's camera last month. Seems like it's a pretty good overall film, I can't really fault it much. I will have to at least shoot a roll of slide film to compare, but for a neg film I am very impressed.

Does anyone know of a link to a good Velvia / Provia / E100G compared to Ektar type shootout or anything?
    Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wish we could simply edit our posts here. Oh well. As a follow up, it seems the price of slide film is going up and our last pro-lab in Ventura just quit doing E6 in house and now sends them out. Suppose it may be a good time for me to learn color neg, unless I want to mail off my slide film...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin