Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,820   Online: 866
      
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46
  1. #1
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,829

    Freestyle "Aristacolor" RA 4 paper

    Just got a print catalog from Freestyle and they now list a house brand RA4 paper. It says it's made in Japan so I presume it's Fuji, and probably regular Crystal Archive.

    The listed prices are slightly cheaper than the Fuji brand product but, more importantly for some of us maybe, available in smaller size boxes. This isn't too important at 8x10 where I'd buy 100 sheets but in 11x14 it would save me buying 100 sheets when I might take quite a while to use up the whole box. Larger sizes are listed in the same sheet counts as the Fuji, just slightly cheaper. It's listed in Glossy and Lustre, no matte, which is fine with me.

    I keep saying "listed" instead of "available" because it doesn't show up on their web site and even a search by the item numbers in the catalog don't turn it up. Usually the web site is more up to date than the print catalogs.

    Anyone know anything about this? I'm not quite at the point of diving back into color darkroom yet, but as soon as I clear out some of the black and white backlog I may do so.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Lancaster, Pennsylvania
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    74

    Saw That Too

    I noticed the same thing. Highlighted as a new item in the recent Catalog, but not listed at all on the website. Let's hope the Catalog is right and their webmaster is on vacation!

  3. #3
    mikecnichols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Marion, VA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    345
    Images
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Just got a print catalog from Freestyle and they now list a house brand RA4 paper. It says it's made in Japan so I presume it's Fuji, and probably regular Crystal Archive.

    The listed prices are slightly cheaper than the Fuji brand product but, more importantly for some of us maybe, available in smaller size boxes. This isn't too important at 8x10 where I'd buy 100 sheets but in 11x14 it would save me buying 100 sheets when I might take quite a while to use up the whole box. Larger sizes are listed in the same sheet counts as the Fuji, just slightly cheaper. It's listed in Glossy and Lustre, no matte, which is fine with me.

    I keep saying "listed" instead of "available" because it doesn't show up on their web site and even a search by the item numbers in the catalog don't turn it up. Usually the web site is more up to date than the print catalogs.

    Anyone know anything about this? I'm not quite at the point of diving back into color darkroom yet, but as soon as I clear out some of the black and white backlog I may do so.
    That was my same thought exactly when I came across that last week. Definitely will get me some 11x14 paper soon.

  4. #4
    PDH
    PDH is offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    490
    Might be Mitsubishi which is retailing in the US, at least in rolls. Dont know about cut paper.

  5. #5
    mikecnichols's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Marion, VA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    345
    Images
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by PDH View Post
    Might be Mitsubishi which is retailing in the US, at least in rolls. Dont know about cut paper.
    Everything points toward Fuji....but I'm sure we'll see with the prints and print quality.

  6. #6
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,829
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecnichols View Post
    Everything points toward Fuji....but I'm sure we'll see with the prints and print quality.
    If anybody ever gets their hands on the stuff. Not on the website even when searched by item number seems to make it vaporware for now.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    2,562
    My question would be, exactly which Fuji paper? Is it the latest CA II or cut from leftover rolls of Super
    C or something else? Either way, you'd be getting a good paper, but there are subtle characteristics which are a little different one from the other. The latest paper has a slightly whiter base.

  8. #8
    brucemuir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Metro DC area, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,265
    Images
    4
    Roger,
    I always get very fast replies to emails.

    I'd be interested in this stuff also.

  9. #9
    Roger Cole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Suburbs of Atlanta, GA USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,829
    I'm just reluctant to email and ask about it when I'm not ready to actually buy any yet.

  10. #10
    brucemuir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Metro DC area, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,265
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I'm just reluctant to email and ask about it when I'm not ready to actually buy any yet.
    They wont care. They are extremely cool.

    I bug Marv all the time if a product is being discontinued.
    He will give me exactish numbers on how much/many rolls etc are left of a discontinued product.

    Really great service there as most already know.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin