Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,910   Online: 1224

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

RA4 101 with a basic enlarger?

Hi everyone,

I didn't realize that the RA4 chemicals and paper were as inexpensive as they are. I'm thinking that I may want to try out the color printing process for myself. However, I only have the Beseler 23C enlarger, which does not have a color head. I was planning on getting a set of Arista color filters (C/M/Y) from Freestyle to put in the filter drawer, if that would even work.

But the thing that confuses me is the denotation of filtration. I see starting suggestions like 30M 40Y, which means nothing to me other than a certain amount of magenta and yellow light being .

Are there any beginner guides out there for RA4 printing, preferably on the web or in old posts on APUG? (I did try searching, but it was still confusing)
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I would recommend you get a good book like this one from Henry Horenstein. It covers all the basics and is easy to understand.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    35mm
    Those are the filtration amounts. Try about 40M + 50Y IF, and only if, you have filtered properly in your camera (ie, outdoors no filter, indoors blue filter 80A). I use NO filter indoors under tungsten light and have to give much more yellow when I print. - David Lyga.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, when you say, for example, 40M + 50Y, are you placing two filters (one magenta, one yellow) in the light path simultaneously?
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just dug out an old set of Beseler color printing filters that I had squirreled away. The packaging says that this is the 8932 (5 1/2 x 5 1/2) set for Beseler 23C and other enlargers. The filters are intended to go in the filter drawer just below the condenser. There are three colors included in the set: Cyan, Magenta and Yellow. The available filter values are .025, .05, .10, .20, .30, .40, and .50 for each color. You use combinations of these filters to obtain the desired value. To get a value of 45M + 55Y use the yellow .50 and the yellow .05 and the magenta .40 and the magenta .05. Using the Heat Absorbing Glass is recommended. You will have to increase exposure in the enlarger to compensate for the filter factor.
    Dave

"She's always out making pictures, She's always out making scenes.
    She's always out the window, When it comes to making Dreams.

It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up, It's all mixed up."

From It's All Mixed Up by The Cars

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Be prepared for very short exposure times also. Most of mine were a second or two.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin