Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,550   Online: 834

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ITD
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Mixing C41 components from different kits

Is it safe to use same-named components from different C41 kits? For instance I seem to have too little stabilizer concentrate to make up a full 500ml in my Digibase kit but I have some stabilizer from a Tetenal kit available. Could I just mix each using its correct dilution and then mix the working solutions, or are they different in some way?

Also at a pinch, could I use the Blix from the Tetenal kit in place of the Bleach & Fix in the Digibase kit?

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would not mix them together. They may differ in composition.

PE

ITD
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the quick response. Looks like I won't be using the chems this weekend anyway - part C gone purple....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've used different components to perform the same steps, eg I used to use Agfa BL 70 bleach for my bleach, I wouldn't mix different bleaches or different stabilisers together though..

You can use blix instead of bleach and fix if you wish, I'd probably do a stop after dev (not a rinse, a stop, then rinse) before it though just to be on the safe side since it's from a different kit. Though I can't imagine developers being more different than they are similar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stabilizers from different kits should be possible to substitute.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I cannot fully agree with all of this.

For example, Bleaches and Blixes use either NTA (Nitrilo triacetic acid) or EDTA (Ethylene Diamine Tetra Acetic Acid) with Iron III salts to oxidize Silver. Some Bleaches, Blixes and Fixes use Sodium Hypo while others use Ammonium Hypo. Mixing these will give a messy set of complexes which may not remove Silver metal fully and may leave a dark brown stain.

As for stabilzers, some contain Formalin and some do not. Mixing the two dilute the active ingredients.

For 2 or 3 part developers, even if they contain the same ingredients the amounts may differ, the pH may differ and the distribution of ingredients between the 2 or 3 bottles of the kit may differ and so you may get zero of a critical ingredient or 2x the amount of one depending on distribution.

That is my reasoning on this.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Of course, I only suggested to replace whole steps, not mix different parts of different kits together.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Same here, I wasn't suggesting you should combine partial chemicals from different stabilizers, just that stabilizer from one manufacturer could be used after developing and bleach/fixing agents were used from a different manufacturer, assuming it is the right stabilizer for the film of course.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My answer was directed to the OP which was mixing 2 kits and I wanted to make my warning clear!

PE

ITD
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks everyone, that makes it very clear. I can substitute a whole step but not mix steps from two different kits or substitute components of the steps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin