Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,170   Online: 1002

Shooter
    Large Format

Loupe recommendations for viewing 6x9 transparencies on a lightbox?

Most MF loupes cover 6x6 or 6x7 at most. Does anyone know how best to obtain a magnified view of the whole area of a 6x9 transparency? Loupes for reading text tend to be low magnification and not well-corrected.

I find that for small format the Rodenstock 6x aspherical lupe performs admirably, giving a field of view larger than the negative dimensions, without apparent colour fringing or distortion. I guess that an equivalent unit covering 6x9 just doesn't exist. Sure it would be large, but I happen to prefer viewing at that magnification on a lightbox than scanning and looking at the image on a monitor…

George

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    No, there are loupes that will do that , Peak, i believe. Mine is at the lab so i don't remember the model number, etc.

Love mine .
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    something like a 90 - 105mm enlarging lens would likely be ideal for a loupe. I'd be surprised if you can find a 6x loupe that covers 6x9. Most of the MF loupes are 3-4x at most for 6x7 coverage, even less for 6x9 probably.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ghart View Post
    Most MF loupes cover 6x6 or 6x7 at most. Does anyone know how best to obtain a magnified view of the whole area of a 6x9 transparency?

George
    The current Schneider 3x medium format loupe covers an image field of 8cm x 8cm!
    So you loose only 5 millimeters at each side, and that is almost irrellevant.

This loupe has outstanding optical quality, excellent sharpness and brillance, no distortion. I has a changeble "foot" (transparent for paper, dark for slides on a lightbox).
    Highly recommended! I am using it for years and I am very satisfied.

You might have a look at it: www.schneider-kreuznach.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    [QUOTE=Film-Niko;1230613]The current Schneider 3x medium format loupe covers an image field of 8cm x 8cm!
    So you loose only 5 millimeters at each side, and that is almost irrellevant.

Thanks for the info. The Schneider data sheet for this loupe gives the image area as 73 x 73, so it's interesting that in real life the dimensions are larger. I will try and find one to see how it does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This Toyo 6x9 magnified viewing hood would work as a loupe. Or make something similar. Otherwise I don't know of anything sold as a lighttable loupe that big.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ghart View Post
    Most MF loupes cover 6x6 or 6x7 at most. Does anyone know how best to obtain a magnified view of the whole area of a 6x9 transparency?
    George
    Hello George,

I am using the Schneider 3x loupe for medium format for my 6x9 transparencies.
    The effective image field is 8cm x 8cm.
    Optical quality is indeed outstanding.
    I can highly recommend it.

Best regards,
    Henning

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Henning and all. Seems that it may be worth upgrading my Schneider 6x6 loupe to their newer 6x7 model, which may almost cover 6x9.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin