Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,510   Online: 870

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought some halogen bulbs today. After a quick comparison they seem closer to daylight than my cfl or incandescent bulbs, in terms of colour rendering.

Ikea is the same everywhere. Besides ikea I bet there are other decent bulbs available in the us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a complete review of Tungsten, CFL and LED lights in this months Popular Mechanics (September). It rates cost, longevity, spectrum and impact on color reproduction. This should answer a lot of your questions.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Some of the problem is with semantics. I think a lot of queries are related to simple screw-in CFL's which
    are intended as low-energy replacements for residential tungsten bulbs. This is an entirely different topic than expensive studio lighting or things using high-frequency ballasts like Broncolor, for example,
    offers. There are some basic laws of physics why no fluorescent bulb can ever completely duplicate the
    continuous spectrum of daylight or a filament bulb, though some can simulate it reasonably well. My own
    color matching tubes came from Germany and have a CRI of 98, but still aren't quite as accurate for color matching, copy work, or display as a color-temp filtered old-style bulb. Plenty of studies have been
    done on this. Let's just hope things keep improving as the market demands better color rendition for
    certain applications. I've recently did a big commercial installation of 30X40 Crystal Archive prints under
    CFL's, which did an acceptable job of rendering the color, but nonetheless gave me a bad headache anyway from the discontinuous spectrum, while I was hanging them. In this case, the city code required
    low-energy CFL's well ahead of the national mandate.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin