Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,394   Online: 1008

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

35mm Color Neg Film Selection

I've been asked to shoot a Halloween Parade and outdoor party of DOGS! (What we won't do for love).

Anyway, the film will be processed in a 1-hour lab and the prints used for promotion purposes after scanning. I am only asked to take the pictures.

Question is: What film to use? Outdoors, Bright Colors, much animation (Pi--ed off dogs forced into "cute" costumes), questionable lighting though I do have TTL flash support.

The sponsors of the event are looking for sharp, grainless & saturated images, not what they are used to with their digicams. They feel an event of this magnitude deserves film. Unfortunately I very seldom shoot color.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're not looking for totally natural skin tones, look at the 100UC film from Kodak. Deep color saturation with bright, almost lurid colors.

I believe I've also heard that Konica Minolta has a color negative film with crazy-cool color saturation.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Much as I dislike Kodak, I dislike the garish Velia colours even more. So for me this is simple: Portra somethingorother VC - I'm taking 3 rolls of Portra 400VC with me to the rig this time, for use in the Bessa R.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jcausey
    If you're not looking for totally natural skin tones, look at the 100UC film from Kodak. Deep color saturation with bright, almost lurid colors.

I believe I've also heard that Konica Minolta has a color negative film with crazy-cool color saturation.
    I'm not 100% sure but this may be Konica Impressa 50 which seems about to be discontinued and is rather slow. However if you can get it the newish Agfacolor Ultra 100 claims to have really vibrant colours. Alternatively Kodak Royal Supra (may be called something different in US) seems to be well thought of but that is about to be replaced by something called Elite Colour! Never used any of them I quite like bog standard Kodak Gold, Agfacolor Vista & Konica Superia Super!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would cast my vote for Kodak Portra UC - even the 400 version is very fine grained. I shot the Fall colors in Vermont with it (35mm) and have been very pleased with the enlargements from it, though none went past 11X14. But if they are scanning them I assume the prints would just be the standard 4X6, or are they scanning the negs/chromes directly? If chromes can be used, Kodak has some "enhanced saturation" film that would show off the colors of the costumes well.

Whatever you go with, I would also suggest a polarizing filter, which will make those colorful costumes really "pop." And the fill flash you mentioned will undoubtedly be a good idea, especially if it is a sunny day, or a cloudy day, or in the shade....(you get the idea) And since it is four-legged children, if I were saddled with the project I would go with the 400asa film. Sounds like a fun day!

Joe
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd use AgfaColor 200. Why? For no other reason than I always use Agfacolor - and I understand it.

Going to be developed in a "One-Hour Lab".
    Well, the choice of film will be the least of your problems ...
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, one of the nice things about the Kodak UC line is that one-hour labs can handle the job rather nicely. As long as you select one that's not run by troglodytes, your negs will be fine and your prints might even be halfway-okay... and you can get really great reprints done by a pro lab.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first choice would be 400UC (rated no higher than 320 preferably @200) followed by Reala (rated at 50-64).

It may seem odd to some to over expose 2/3 to a full stop, but these two films will have no issue with the 'over exposure' and the resulting neg will have less grain and greater saturation. To me the reality is that most film neg film is about one half to a full stop slower than labeled.

Bruce,
    another vote for Kodak Ultra Color 400. It and Portra 400 UC before it are my standard color film. I too, rate it at 200. Shadow detail is excellent. It's the perfect combination of moderately high saturation, low contrast and excellent skin tones.
    Take care,
    Tom

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin