Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,902   Online: 1067

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    exactly eddie!

i think i can modify a plastic reel easily enough.

anybody had any experience of narrow films?

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Unless you have a lifetime supply of this film and plan to shoot only this film, go out and buy an ss setup, tank and reel. if you modify your reel it will end up in the trash, a ss tank and reel can be passed on or held as a spare, or even worse, you might like it and switch.

Also if you get an ss setup, there is no way you will ever grab the wrong reel by accident.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks bblhed - yea i did consider that but i would need to know
    if the ss gear would hold the narrower film?
    i was planning on ripping a paterson reel apart as I find it a hatefull
    piece of plastic at the best of times.
    but yes i see where the ss one might be a better option.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    See if the film you've already processed will fit in the SS reel first.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks eddie, I dont have any ss reels! Im going to try and source a
    120 reel and tank, from what I have found out the "opening" of the reels is 57mm so that souuld work.

thanks for the help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The thing about stainless steel reels is that you can feel the film as it warps onto the reel and you'll know if it is jumping a row onto the film below it. Just make sure your hands are grease free before loading: wiping onto dry cloth or clothing is sufficient if the hands are already clean.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    cool thanks monito - yea it should be easier to load from the centre out !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is this some of the Infrared Aerochrome the seller (Dean?) is cutting down and respooling onto 120 reels and selling on ebay? I had thought of getting some of that but if he's not cutting it down to standard size, that would be a deal-killer...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Plastic isn't a "no-go", plastic is preferable imho for higher temperature work, as the tank is insulated.

57mm is less to work with than the 55mm of a patterson reel. It sounds like you need to work on loading technique and clean your reels and make sure they are actually dry.. a drop of water will make the gelatin very adhesive against the reel.. as opposed to a completely saturated amount of water which will actually load onto the reel.

The depth into the track is about 2mm from what I can tell, so you should be able to load a film greater than 57mm width, edited: below to 3.5mm

a 61mm width film looks like it has 1mm of wiggle room to move, so that would put a depth of 3.5mm (I assume) into the track a film can sit. At 59.5, your film should be able to sit inside both tracks (fully sitting on one depth of 3.5mm, it has still 1mm into the other side), but could easily 'pop out' on one side than a regular film, if you load it carefully you should be fine, if you are paying attention to loading you should be able to feel what the film is doing.

At 57mm, there is 1.5mm into the tracks.. thats counting an exact fit for 61mm width without any kind of movement to allow for slight differences of films.. which obviously there should be... you're left with less than 1mm of depth into the track from a 59.5mm room on a 57mm opening reel.. in fact, if there is 1mm of wiggle room, your film will not fit on the reel, as when it fully inserts on one side, the other side will be free/out of the track.

Though it would be good to test load a 120 steel reel with the old film, since it has a center clip which might help.
    Last edited by Athiril; 09-17-2011 at 08:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin