Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,694   Posts: 1,482,498   Online: 1034

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's all good

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    This is interesting.

So, it looks to me like a single bleach could be purchased for use in all color work. Simply dilute it properly for the task at hand.

Is that a fair thought?

Given that thought, does the idea carry over to uses in B&W work?

Along this line it's my understanding from rooting around here that C-41 fix stock can be used similarly, basically for everything in the darkroom, with the caveat that once a working solution is applied to color material it is not then applied to B&W.

Is that a fair assessment?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well..I use E-6 fixer for everything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The film bleach that I "designed" in the previous post is not a serious replacement for the true C41 bleach and fix due to a number of problems, but it can do the job if one is careful and one is in a bind. Remember that please.

However, it is possible to design one blix for all color products and design it in such a way that the fix can be used for B&W products. I have done that! It is basically Super Fix VII + an extra, optional part. However, to do the job right it uses some expensive and exotic ingredients and therefore is basically impractical at this time.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    However, it is possible to design one blix for all color products and design it in such a way that the fix can be used for B&W products. I have done that! It is basically Super Fix VII + an extra, optional part. However, to do the job right it uses some expensive and exotic ingredients and therefore is basically impractical at this time.
    I thought Afga's Universal Fix was good for B&W, E-6 and C-41 - atleast I've been using it for both C-41 and E-6.

Nice to know about the RA4 chemistry, I have some 4-5 year old Agfa stuff sitting around in the basement, I'll have to give it a try, especially since I can't reuse fixer in my Phototherm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh, I use a fish tank Air Pump to aireate my bleach, both E-6 and C-41, the pump runs for an hour at 2am every morning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can use color fix for B&W but in some cases you cannot use B&W fix for color. This is due mainly to pH.

PE

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Remember: Aerate, add some Ammonium Bromide or Ammonium Chloride and adjust the pH with Acetic Acid 28% or Ammonium Hydroxide 28% as needed.
    Can the bromides/chlorides be sodium/potassium instead of ammonium?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If they could, I would have said so!

The ammonium salts are essential to make them work with film.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE,

Just to clarify, is the formula below for processing film in paper chemicals? I'm not misreading it? If so, it's a great news for me because I too am running out of C41 bleach, but I have a lot of RA4.
    Also, by extended times you mean how long? I know, I can test
    the fixer, but what about the bleach?

Thanks!

Eugene.

You can use the RA4 bleach fix as a bleach then fix by using 1/2 the amount of water with each part, so 1L of part A which might be used with 1L of part B to make 4 L of working solution would be mixed as follows:

1 liter of part A + 500 ml of water to make 1.5 L of working strength
    1 liter of part B + 500 ml of water to make 1.5 L of working strength.

This is 3L of solution not 4 which would be used for paper. Use extended times, and make no pH adjustment. Use a 1% stop bath if possible.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin