Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,210   Online: 781

Shooter
    35mm

Tar-like gunk in Fuji Hunt C41 Dev (C)

Hi,
    I've been happily using the Hunt 5L kit for a while now, mixing it up in 300ml batches as I go along. Recently, however, when I have mixed a new batch, the component C of the Dev (which I assume to be the CD-4), has produced a sticky tar-like gunk precipitate, most of which floats to the top and can be whisked off, but I have found it impossible to remove from my measuring beakers.

Despite the apparent loss of something from my dev, and the cloudy aspect of that which remains, this issue does not appear to be having an adverse effect on my negs. Anyone else seen this problem before?

Cheers,
    T

RPC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So the gunk forms only when you mix the developer, and the part c bottle looks normal before mixing?

Shooter
    35mm
    yup, and it is not present in the bottle. I measured the C with a syringe, and when i injected it into the other two and water, the gunge formed around the syringe head.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mixing it for 2 minutes doesn't dissolve it? What temperature are you mixing it at?
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    mixing at 38c, and no, it seems to be insoluble. I have tried both acidic and alkaline, hot and cold to try and clean my beaker.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What color is your Part C dev before mixing? If it is dark in color / purplish or even black, then it has gone bad and should probably be replaced.

I learned this the hard way a few weeks ago with the Rollei kit (which is supposedly assembled using Fuji-Hunt chemistry). I will say that I got decent enough results from the 5L Fuji-Hunt kit even after the Part C had turned dark, but will not attempt that again after I ruined some rolls a few weeks back with a bad Part C from the Rollei kit.

Shooter
    35mm
    yes, it is purplish black, but I remember it being this colour from the start, and the odd thing is that the dev seems to work regardless. Maybe not ideal for commercial work, but the last batch i processed came out perfectly, as far as I can see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    can you strain out the black part with a coffee filter, or fine cheesecloth? Heck, even a cotton ball at the bottom of a funnel works in a pinch, or an old silk stocking

-Dan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin