Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,914   Posts: 1,521,750   Online: 1062

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Which film pushes better?

I want to stock up on either Velvia 100 or E100VS. If I'm in a situation that requires faster film, I want to be able to shoot at 400 and have the lab push 2 stops. Would pushing be a better option or should I just get a few rolls of Provia 400? Which would give more saturated colors?
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd carry some Provia 400X instead.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by f/16 View Post
    I want to stock up on either Velvia 100 or E100VS. If I'm in a situation that requires faster film, I want to be able to shoot at 400 and have the lab push 2 stops. Would pushing be a better option or should I just get a few rolls of Provia 400? Which would give more saturated colors?
    I would imagine E100VS would push better. My experience with Provia/Astia is that it pushes well up to two stops. I would be surprised if you can push Velvia a whole stop without colour degradation.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd carry some Provia 400X instead.
    This. Provia 400X is really quite underrated. Pushes well to 1600 too, if you need it to.
    OM-2n, 50/1.8 (Black) | AE-1 Program, 50/1.8 (Silver)
    flickr.
    My other little piece of the Web.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the advice. I'm a little unsure about Provia 400. I shot a couple of rolls of Provia 100 in 120 format, and the colors were not as strong as I was hoping for. Kinda reminded me of Kodachrome. But I'll try different ways-P400 and E100VS pushed 2 stops and see which one I like better.
    Bill

Pentax 645, Pentax 6X7MLU, and many Nikons-F2 Photomic F2AS FM2N N2000 N6000 N6006 Nikomat FTN

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Provia 400x pushes spectacularly.

Please bear in mind that 400x has nothing, nothing to do with provia 100F or the other older provia, neither of which impresses me (mostly due to the tendency to go blue if the light is even slightly off 5000K). Provia 400x is some sort of newfangled miracle film, sent by the gods. I am not joking. Absolutely amazing stuff, you have to try it. I recall seeing some pushed very credibly to 3200 on rangefinderforum.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, Provia 400x is amazing film which pushes nicely at least up to ISO 1600. I would still like to point out that is is not nearly as nicely saturated as E100VS and that contrary to what Keith wrote, Provia 400X responds to bluish light with terrible colors, especially regarding skin tones.

So my recommendation would be Provia 400X and a 81B filter for your faster lenses and forget about high saturation images in dim environments. While it may be possible to push ISO 100 film to ISO 400, you'll certainly love the ISO 1600 from Provia 400X which you will never get with ISO 100 film. 2 extra stop will turn out to be not all that much of a difference, but 4 extra stops certainly is a big difference.
    Trying to be the best of whatever I am, even if what I am is no good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    400X is an amazing E-6 film for pushing. It doesn't hold a candle to colour neg though. IMO it is terrible overall for that. It's okay-ish for low-contrast scenes with even lighting. But think about what situations you will use 1600 in.

In any case sounds like OP just want 400 speed though, not 1600.

Here's an example of 400X @ 1600.

union clubbing #2 - jake by mugley, on Flickr

a place in the sun by mugley, on Flickr

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    E100VS pushed 2 stops would probably be best saturation. They will all be better at box speed for details though - both shadow and highlight details, and colour balance.

Is there a reason you need the extra 2 stops of speed on such a film like Velvia or E100VS? I thought you would be shooting nature or landscapes with such things and using a tripod?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the advice. I'm a little unsure about Provia 400. I shot a couple of rolls of Provia 100 in 120 format, and the colors were not as strong as I was hoping for. Kinda reminded me of Kodachrome. But I'll try different ways-P400 and E100VS pushed 2 stops and see which one I like better.
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

EDIT: Lots of other semi-ranting commentary snipped. I have unpopular tastes as modern color goes.

I agree a "born at 400" film is preferable to pushing, and that means Provia 400 now in slide film.
    Last edited by Roger Cole; 09-26-2011 at 10:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin