Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,942   Posts: 1,585,754   Online: 1133

Shooter
    Multi Format

Kodak 160vc at 100 ISO

Hi,

Has anybody exposed Kodak 160vc 4x5" at 100iso and developed it at box speed 160ISO

I'm wondering if the slight overexposure will be enough to blow out the highlights ie, sky for landscape work.

I like to shoot 1 frame of E6 and one frame of c41 just to be sure of getting a result. Its cheaper than taking a bracket of 3 or 4 shots and usually I nail both, this gives me a choice of looks and dynamic range.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It'll be more than fine. Some people will even argue that it will be better than if you had shot it at 160.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thats my thoughts as many people say to slightly overexpose.

I usually shoot at box speed and get good results. At the moment I use a incident meter with a little instinct... In regards to exposing for shadow detail etc.

Hopefully someone shoots 160vc at 100 and can post a link to a image or possibly a set of bracketed shots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are using an incident meter and a little instinct in regards to SBR, you are fine at box speed. People say to overexpose as a matter of course with C-41 film, but I don't like the results, personally.

But C-41 can definitely survive a mere 2/3 stop of overexposure without an issue. You will just find your proofing and printing times to be a bit longer than normal.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This was 120 and the final output was scanned, but here is 160VC-2 exposed from 2 stops underexposure to 4 stops over in one stop increments:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tgray1/...7623656615947/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quite a few people shoot it at 100 with a fair degree of success. I personally prefer to shoot at box speed (160) and color balance filter to get all three dye curves properly exposed, and have explained why on other threads. This allows optimum use of the film curve. If you expose at 100 you are inevitably
    making a compromise somewhere. Whether this is significant or not depends on the actual scene conditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    This was 120 and the final output was scanned, but here is 160VC-2 exposed from 2 stops underexposure to 4 stops over in one stop increments:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tgray1/...7623656615947/
    This is a great link, Thanks.

At box to me looks best, although 1 stop over is acceptable too, some of the background out of focus is beginning to wash out although the sky still holds its color well

My Yashica EM with 160vc (one of my favorite combos I shoot it at 160iso) probably does slightly overexpose as they often do look like the 1 stop over photo.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin