Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,700   Online: 845

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
    I've got people beating down my door for one of the few remaining rolls of HIE this side of the Mississippi and they couldn't sell enough of it to keep it in production!
    Supply and demand. There may be the same amount of people wanting HIE now, as there were when it was in production, but one thing is trying to sell a few rolls and another a few millions, with costly machines, packaging, etc, and keep the whole thing profitable. Kind of silly to keep production runs going, at Kodak's levels, to supply a few hundred amateurs around the world. Demand just wasn't there and that's an easy business decision. Same for Kodachrome. It was expensive, a pain in the ass to process and just wasn't worth it to them. Many miss it (and I do too) but they just weren't selling enough of it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    I was wondering why there were only two pages of color film in the Freestyle catalog, vs the 8 pages of B&W. Didn't realize there were only two producers of color film. I assume the other one is Fuji?
    Kodak, Fuji, Ferrania, Lucky and Agfa.
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kevs View Post
    Kodak, Fuji, Ferrania, Lucky and Agfa.
    Well that would indeed be very sad if Kodak went out of business. I kinda like their new portra and ektar line as well. But I guess this would be the other companies would have a better chance of surviving with better sale of their products. Luckily for black and white we still have ilford who seems to be doing well and infact is growing especially with the slow increasing interest in black and white.

So i guess there is a silver (no pun intended) lining in this news

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That would really suck if Kodak went out of business, severely limit the colour films out there, and I'm really not fond of the Fuji films I've tried
    "You can struggle in the water and be too stubborn to die, or you can just let go and be lifted to the sky." -Bright Eyes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lifted View Post
    That would really suck if Kodak went out of business, severely limit the colour films out there, and I'm really not fond of the Fuji films I've tried
    Oddly that was my exact stand about kodak color film until recently when I started to use portra and ektar rather than the gold stuff I tried previously. But then Fuji is neither that good either with superia, everytime I shot with it, the negative didn't capture the color accurately. Or it could be that I just suck at shooting negative. Maybe I should just stick to either slide and b&w where I have no problem shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Ferrania is done, or are they still making Solaris 200?
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    I remember as a kid, my mom buying only Kodak for her 126 instamatic, even though it was the most expensive. She felt that only Kodak film was worth purchasing. When I got my 126 instamatic in 1982, I followed her lead, of course that meant I could only get 12 exposure cartridges, it was all I could afford on my allowance.

Fast forward many years and now Kodak is on the verge of bankruptcy, what happened? What happened to Kodak just being considered "the best"? I know my mom wasn't the only one who felt that way. Remember the whole "We use Kodak paper, for a good look" campaign?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak still makes some superior films, at least the B&W stuff I use. They have excellent quality control, and the Tmax400 film I use is incredibly versatile beyond the way Kodak markets/documents it.

They don't market themselves as the best or most versatile for some reason.

While there was nothing bad about Kodak papers, I've always preferred the Ilford paper for b&w.

I was not sad to see them stop making paper, but I would be sad to see them stop making film. Hopefully a successor would maintain the same quality and loved products we have right now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really hope they get some management into the company that can do something smart with the mess.

I love Kodak films, and their papers were awesome. To see TMY-2 and Tri-X disappear would be an incredibly sad day for film photography, but let's not throw in hope just yet. Keep using their film, order what you need to shoot as usual, and hope for the best. While everybody can see that change is inevitable at Kodak, nobody can say exactly what's going to happen, until it does happen.

Just ordered 20 rolls of Tri-X for the next couple of months.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin